Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hevi-Shot ML Sabots >

Hevi-Shot ML Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hevi-Shot ML Sabots

Old 01-31-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Hevi-Shot ML Sabots

I emailed hevishot the other day and tokd them it would be a good idea, and they emailed me back and said they already make them! Has anyone used them or know where to buy them? I bet these would have great ballistics and downrange energy, but I would like to hear opinions from you guys...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hevi-Shot ML Sabots

Never heard of them or seen them ,
but I'd be interested if they perform half as well as their shot .
Old 02-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Although I haven't ordered them, or shot them, I have seen them sold in the Cabela's catalog.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Isn't a 250 gr. jacketed hollow point the same weight as the 250 gr. Heavy Shot sabot.......(don't answer that.) So logic dictates that it will deliver the same down range energy just $1.50 more per bullet, yay Remington and their marketing team.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:05 PM

its all about density bud.

A slug that is more dense will be smaller, that is, have a lower coefficient of friction. That equals less air resistance, and more energy downrange. The same also holds true for windage, a denser slug will be less affected by wind currents at long ranges.

If density didnt matter, then why not make a 250gr slug out of styrofoam? Its still 250gr right

Mat
Old 02-04-2005, 05:43 AM

But were talking low velocities out of muzzel loaders. I know modern inlines shoot faster but were only talking 2000 fps. I bet if you shot one of Remingtons Heavy Shot sabots against any of the other premium sabots at a magnum load you would find that they have the same down range energy with the same flight to the target. I think you're paying for a name mostly when you buy those Heavies when you could buy some awesome Dead Centers for arround the same cash. Aside since you mentioned BC how is this heavy shot delivering such great BC when it's the same diameter and shape that regular sabots are, aside from it's alittle shorter. If you want great down range energy and ballistics, go Dead Center, or if you want to save a few bucks Shockwaves.

Edit Coefficent of Friction has to deal with the interaction of the surface (coarse, smooth, ect. ect.) of the bullet and the air not the density of the material.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have some but have not shot them. I just wanted to add a little note to this.

Hevi shot ML bullets are very hard and will not expand on an animal.

I just went into the garage and sat one of the cement and hit it with a hammer to see just how hard they really are and if they would mushroom at all. It actually broke into three pieces. I don't know it they would fragment on game or not but it didn't take all that much force to make this one fragment.

I don't know if this would be desireble or not but three or four chunks of hevi shot may produce a big wound channel. I'll have to shoot these through some ply wood or something else fairly hard and see how many holes they make on some cardboard set up behind it.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: 12 pointer

I emailed hevishot the other day and tokd them it would be a good idea, and they emailed me back and said they already make them! Has anyone used them or know where to buy them? I bet these would have great ballistics and downrange energy, but I would like to hear opinions from you guys...
They have neither-- poor BC's, and they do not expand.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

id imagine for large dangerous game like water buffalo and elephant, safari game animals etc they would have awesome down range energy and penetration, trajectory on the other hand might suffer bit.