Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Clean shot pellets? >

Clean shot pellets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean shot pellets?

Old 01-26-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Clean shot pellets?

I have been using these for the last few years and have exhausted my supply.Best I can tell they are no longer available,is this so? What would you guys recomend as a substitute?

Thanks
CB
Old 01-26-2005, 10:27 PM

Default RE: Clean shot pellets?

check out http://cleanshot.com
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Finding Clean Shot pellets might be hard to do. They are now American Pioneer Powder Company and they do not make pellets, they make sticks. They got into a problem with Pyrodex from what I heard and changed their name and from pellet to sticks....

After checking Mr..45-70 's link I might be mistaken. If you can not find Clean Shot I would look into American Pioneer Powder APP or the new stuff on the market called Black Mag 3. I have not had a chance to try it yet because I have not found it locally, but have read some good posts about it.....
Old 01-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

I just got a catalog from Midsouth Shooters Supply and they are still listing Clean Shot Pellets. I tried the APP sticks and they are really irregular in size and weight. I do not know how they would be consistent. If Midsouth still has the pellets and you are happy with them you should buy all you think you can store properly without them losing power as I believe they are not going to be available much longer. I have switched to Black Mag'3 which I have to order since no one in the West seems to have it yet. It is available pretty much on the east coast. I also have heard rumers that they may be working on a solid version. Personally I prefer loose powder and the BM3 loose works terrific for me. Higher velocity than equal volume of ffg 777, considerably less felt recoil than 777, no crud ring, accuracy as good or better than any of the other powders, and clean up that amounts to a couple of patches through the bore. APP is pretty clean, BM3 is cleaner and is less susceptible to moisture problems.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know some or many might not agree - but think about "Loose" APP or BM3. Forget the pellets or sticks. Buy clear speed loaders(forget who makes them) with marked powder increments. You know exactly what your loading each and every time. Just my .02
Old 01-29-2005, 05:00 PM

I agree with AJ52. I like the powder form and although it is not the quick and easy pellet form, it isn't rocket science either. You can really work up an extremely accurate load with the powder and just a little testing. I've heard the same thing that Cayugad referred to regarding Clean Shot versus Pyrodex and changing their name to American Pioneer Powder. Clean Shot got sued by Pyrodex because they (Pyrodex) have the patent rights to the pellet form and it will be some time before others can copy their patent. I prefer BlackMag3 anyway and it is readily available where I live in Virginia so I don't have to order it and pay the hazmat fee.