Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelts - Aerotip or Hollow Point? >

Powerbelts - Aerotip or Hollow Point?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts - Aerotip or Hollow Point?

Old 01-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Spike

Default Powerbelts - Aerotip or Hollow Point?

I am considering using Powerbelt Aerotips or copper clad hollow point. What are the advantages or disadvantages of each compared to each other. Which is (or supposed to be) more accurate, aerotip or hollow point? I have used 245 grain in the past for whitetails and am considering going to 295 grain. Any thoughts on which is a better weight for whitetails?
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 AM

Default RE: Powerbelts - Aerotip or Hollow Point?

I'd definitly go with the copper hollow points. The plastic tip is too unreliable in the expansion department. I use the 295gr copper hollows and they are great. Havent used a ML bullet yet that beats its expansion or stopping power.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep... copper hollows rule in Powerbelts (overall). Expansion issues with aero-tips.... fragmentation issues with the leaded ones. Best bet for clean kills are 295-348s over the 245s & 223s. Lay-off using more than 120 grains for best accuracy/best performance with the plastic skirt. Make sure to check all skirts before loading for easy turning.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:58 AM

The hollow points are made for ranges out to 100 yards+or-. The aero tips are made for 100 yards +. The reason for the tip is better bullet stability for longer distances. I shoot .295 .50 cal, 100 grns of 777 fffg, out of a CVA Magbolt, with a 26" barrel. Have killed every deer I have shot with this gun and load combo. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeyhunter

There's no real noticeable difference in the direction the aerotips & hollows fly. At 100 yards, the hollows may travel 1" below... at 175 yeards... perhaps 1.5" below. A few clicks inside the scope turret take care of that problem real easy.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 AM

I started using the P/B hollow points they year they came out, and switched to the Aerotip when they hit the market. I have killed 7 deer with the Aerotip (plus three red fox) and I have had no issues with expansion and/or penetration. I have only recovered one bullet, which was a perfect mushroom lodged under the hide on the off shoulder. I am not disputing what others are saying, but I have not seen this problem with the Aerotips. However, if you stick with the hollowpoints, you are still shooting a great muzzleloader bullet, so don't worry!

Brian
Old 01-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recovering only one out of seven means you hit some nice bone with the one you recovered. I question whether the Aerotip ones that exited expanded any. Most reviews I've read state the same-sized hole exiting as going in. That particular copper clad tip was designed for game larger, tougher-skinned than deer.... ie... SSTs. At normal 100 gr ML speeds, copper hollow-points are tough to beat for deer. You can pay more for that pretty tip/pretty look, that's OK by me.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 AM

No, I have gotten some pretty good exit holes from the Aerotips without hitting bone, other than ribs. The longest a deer shot with a Aerotip got away from me was a big doe shot right through the heart at 85-90 yards. The bullet did not hit any ribs, but put a nice 2" hole through the off-side. She took off, running for about 75 yards before keeling over mid-stride.

The hollowpoints will expand more, but not that much more (IMO). A half-inch hole is big enough to start. A hard cast .45 caliber bullet that doesn't expand a millimeter puts game down relatively quick.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you're pointing that rifle in the right direction. Sure wish others had that expanding success with those tips. Placement does mean everything & you sure have it down to a science.