Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Katahdin Carbine thoughts?? >

T/C Katahdin Carbine thoughts??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Katahdin Carbine thoughts??

Old 01-10-2005, 03:30 PM

Default T/C Katahdin Carbine thoughts??

Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns for this T/C muzzle loader? Looking to buy my first ML and money is not really a problem. I have yet to see any post on this particular ML. Mostly will only ever hunt Maryland with shots less than 75 yards and most around 50 with a scope. I'd also take advantage of the barrel swapping for this gun with slug barrels and mostly rifle barrels. Thanks.

http://www.tcarms.com/mlrifles/209katahdin/index.php
Old 01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Katahdin Carbine thoughts??

Being it is a Thompson Center Encore, I am sure it is a great rifle. The Encore is one fine rifle without doubt. I really do not see the advantage of the carbine model but to each their own. For what you're going to be using it for, sounds like just the ticket.

Personally I would get the full grown Encore in case you wanted to hunt out west or some place where the extra barrel length would be an advantage. After years of hunting with muzzleloaders, I never saw the longer barrel as a disadvantage. The rifle I like to hunt with has a 32" barrel and I hunt some real thick stuff. I guess it is a matter of personal preference.

Good luck with your choice. Thompson Center is sure a smart way to go when it comes to an inline muzzleloader.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure it's a very nice gun. I have a T/C White Mountain Carbine that is a very handy rifle to tote around, and the short length makes it perfect if I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the thick stuff. Very light too, but it kicks like a mule with any load over 90 grains. The carbine isn't the gun to look at if you're hung up on velocity or long range shooting, but as a when ranges are short, the brush is thick and the walks are long, the lighter and smaller rifle is a God-send.

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Typical Buck

I've not shot the carbine muzzleloading barrel, but I did shoot the Katahdin barrel in 450 Marlin with the "muzzle tamer" and it still jarred me pretty good. The carbine barrel would make it a very light packing rifle, but the recoil will be quite a bit stiffer(especially with magnum charges). I'd also go with the standard 26" barrel just in case you need the extra range someday.