Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

fireing mechanism

Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM

Default fireing mechanism

My woverine 209 just came today and i watched the video and read the manual but there is something that is still unclear to me. In order to fire the gun you load it, pull the hammer back, then put the 209 primer (thats in the jacket) onto the nipple, then does the hammer stay pulled back until you fire it? Thats what it seems like to me, but then i wonder what if it got full of snow or something, it wouldn't be able to shut.

Also I was wondering if those jackets that you put the primers in are reusable?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fireing mechanism

1st those red jackets are not reusable

1) make sure the gun is unloaded and that both safties are on safe

2) pull the hammer back

3) put in your poweder or pellets, and then your sabot

4) gun pointed in a safe direction, load your 209 primer

5) at the end of the hammer you should be able to spin it, spin it all the way till it stops, RED LINE should be showing, the hammer is ready to be fired

6) gun pointed still in a safe direction, take the side safty to the fire position, fire away
Old 01-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Thats what i thought, but does that let moister get to your primer? and like i asked before what if between the hammer and primer snow builds up? Wouldn't that keep it from fireing?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

My Wolverine II shoots #11 caps. I have hunted in snow storms and never had a problem with moisture. In your case the plastic and 209 would make that almost waterproof on that end.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:56 PM

well thats good. why aren't the plastic things reusable? Do they get destroyed when fired or something?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

QTompkins2005 , I have a Knight Woverine and mine also uses the #11 percussion caps. After I have safely loaded mine and put the cap in place and with the plunger safety screwed all the way in I let it off and reset the trigger safety. When I get ready to shoot and with the barrel pointed in a safe direction I screw the plunger safety all the way out and move the trigger safety to the fire position and aim and shoot. Before I reload I pull the plunger back, remove the cap and screw the plunger safety back in and return the trigger safety back to safe. I never hunt with the gun in the cocked position but always have both safetys on.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVCritterGitter

QTompkins2005 , I have a Knight Woverine and mine also uses the #11 percussion caps. After I have safely loaded mine and put the cap in place and with the plunger safety screwed all the way in I let it off and reset the trigger safety. When I get ready to shoot and with the barrel pointed in a safe direction I screw the plunger safety all the way out and move the trigger safety to the fire position and aim and shoot. Before I reload I pull the plunger back, remove the cap and screw the plunger safety back in and return the trigger safety back to safe. I never hunt with the gun in the cocked position but always have both safetys on.
I hope that is easier to do than it is to read.