Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlock???

Old 01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flintlock???

I'm looking to get into flintlock hunting next season. Were do I start? Who makes the best,ect,ect,ect...
Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flintlock???

PaJack.. that depends on how much you are will ing to spend, the caliber you want, and the type of projectile you want to shoot.

Some of the more common production rifles of good quality are the Thompson Center Hawkins, Renegade, or Firestorm. Lyman makes a number of good flintlock rifles like the Great Plains, The Trade Rifle, and the Deerstalker. Traditions also makes some good rifles. They have the PA Pellet, and some of the more fancy traditional looking rifles.

Depending on what kind of projectile you want to shoot will determine the kind of rifle to look into. If you want a true roundball rifle, then look for one with a 1-60 or slower twist. A 1:48 twist will shoot roundball, conical and even sabot. The Firestorm and PA Pellet are said to be great sabot shooters.

There are some custom rifle makers out there that will make you almost anything you want to shoot. Some of them are real works of art and are great shooting rifles...
Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh boy, another sucker.....
One taste and you are hooked!

I bought a Traditions PA Pellet 50 cal. flintlock. I like it.
Others are Lyman Great Plains rifle or Great Plains Hunter. Lyman Deerstalker. Thompson Center Firestorm or Hawken etc. Stay away from the Traditions Deerhunter. They are cheaper and you will outgrow it quik because of the low quality.

I bought mine at D&R Sports online. I got the camo/nickel option for $230.00. I'll give you a link if you want to look at it.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/es...8Side+Locks%29

Here's the link to D&R Sports
http://www.dnrsports.com/

I have really enjoyed shooting my flintlock and hunting with it.
Hope you do too
Good luck
Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 PM

PaJack :go to the newstand and buy a paper called the paper shop ,cost 90 cents ,go to the hunting section.I seen in last week paper a guy has a like new t/c flinter 50 cal. hawkens with extras I think the price was $250.00
the gun comes with a lifetime warrraty can't beat it.Tunkanock area in monroe county
Old 01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all of the replies! I think the law states it has to be a round ball .45 caliber or bigger...I think!

D&R is only a 25 min. ride for me and I have bought guns from him in the past,time to go for a ride...

As for the Paper Shop I'll look and see what they have...

Thanks Again...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are talking about PA, any single projectile is allowed. I use Powerbelts.