Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I want a flintlock >

I want a flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I want a flintlock

Old 12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default I want a flintlock

I want a flintlock to fiddle around with and hopefully hunt with next year. I was looking at a thomson center firestorm. Does anyone have one and if so is it worth the money? Also any other flintlock sugestions would be great. The only thing i dont like about the firestorm is it is a .50 cal and i would like something a little bigger. Oh yeah and i also dont like that it has a black stock. I would prefer a wood stock
Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Default RE: I want a flintlock

Seeing how u want something bigger, maybe a lyman great plains rifle. or you can check out track of the wolf's website and look at their custom built rifles for sale. They are actually pretty reasonable.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Like Frontier Gander said, you pretty well answered your questions. Look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle/Hunter, the Lyman Trade Rifle, Lyman Deer Stalker, Cabela's Hawkins, Cabela's Carbine, and then there are some Thompson Center Hawkins and Renegades out there in the auction sites in the larger caliber in flintlock. Don't under estimate the .50 caliber. But I can not blame you for wanting a .54 caliber or bigger. I like the larger bore rifles myself.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I am mainly looking at the .54 cal because I have a .50 inline and i want something different. If it helps I will mainly be useing pached round balls out of it.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Then I would look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 1-60 twist. That would be a good roundball shooter. Another option is get a .54 caliber Renegade or Hawkins made by Thompson. You can then get a Green Mountain Barrel drop in barrel with a 1-70 twist in .58 caliber. Then you have a real roundball shooter.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Heres what you want, best price i can find. Dont buy that factory finished stuff. The bluing that comes on them from the factory i hear is ****. You may also want to look into either an antique color barrel or browning it. For an antique look you simply rub the barrel,lock and assessories down with a couple coats of bleach and then 0000 steel wool and oil it down and your done. For the stock i'd use the water stain and then hand rub 8-9 coats of boiled linseed oil into it and then rub bees wax. Gives it an authentic look. Have fun with it and take your time if you choose to buy the kit.
Jon

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(5hqkon45mq4msc45znso0e55))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=13&subId=80&styleId= 310&partNum=LYMAN-GPR-KIT-FLINT
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I think i found a rifle I really like it is a lyman deerstalker. Does anyone have any experence with this rifle?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting with flintlocks for about 30 years. I started with a T/C Hawken, which I still have. About 7 years ago, I picked up a .50 caliber Deerstalker flinter in a Pa. store. I liked the way it felt, so I bought it. It has been great. It is light, handy, and a joy to carry.I did some trigger work on it, since I was used to a lighter trigger, but it has been trouble free. It is not quite as accurate as my Hawken (patched roundball), but I suspectthat thethe reason is the shorter sight radius coupled with old eyes. I didn't mention this to the 5 deer I shot with it.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of the Lyman's. It is a left handed flinter. I added the Lyman peep sights, and I really like it. I do wish it had set triggers. Does anyone know anyone that can work on the triggers?

Does TC still make the Pennsylvania Hunter? It was a really nice rifle. Only problem is that it was right hand. It is very difficult to shoot a right handed flinter left handed, but that is another story. Tom.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scroll down to the bottom for the deerstalker. This is a good price. With a 1-48" twist you can shoot roundballs and conicals.

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_1529.html

Quick Reply: I want a flintlock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.