Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I need a new Flintlock >

I need a new Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need a new Flintlock

Old 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Default I need a new Flintlock

Hey guys. I've been hunting with a flintlock since i turned 12. Dad got me into it and i can't get enough. A couple years ago I made a huge mistake. I bought a Hawken Woodsman made by Traditions.Since i bought it i've had trouble every year with my gun going off. This year I've had my gun misfire 3 times with deer within 50 yards and decided it's time for a new gun. I'm looking at either the Lyman Deerstalker or the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I'd appreciate any input you all have on these two guns as well as any others you have found to work well. I would also like to know what guns to stay away from. Anything to make my future ML seasons less frustrating.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I need a new Flintlock

ZSully17 - First off welcome to the forum. Its good to have you.

I personally shoot a couple of different flintlocks. I shoot two T/C Hawkins .50 calibers and they are fast and accurate rifles. I have no complaints with the Thompson Center flintlock. I also shoot a Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle flintlock. This Lyman is a great shooting rifle. The lock is fast and sure. As long as I keep a good sharp flint in the jaw, this this seems to go off. Even with dull ones as my knapping ability needs to improve. I have shot a Great Plains Flintlock and was equally impressed with the lock time and ignition of that rifle. As for the Deerstalker, I have not had the pleasure.

The Thompson Center Firestorm is a good flintlock, but not very "traditional" I am told. Also there was a heck of a sale on flintlocks at AccuSport through RMC Sports http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htmbut my understanding is they are gone now. They do sell one with a removable breech. From looking over the parts they use in the rifle's construction, I think they would be an excellent rifle....

Good luck in your search
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't discount Traditions rifles as an option. I have the PA pellet 50 cal. flinter with nickel barrel and camo stock. I have been told that it has a much bigger lock than the Lyman deerstalker and it does have fiber optic sights whereas the Lyman has standard notch style sights. The Pa pellet has a removeable breech plug and flash funnel technology, which brings a small diameter powder channel through the plug to the large touch hole for reliable ignition. I have had very good reliability with ignition in mine.

See it here:
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Muzzleloaders%3A+PA+Pellet+F lintlock+%28Side+Locks%29

Buy one here:
https://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DSC&Cat egory_Code=muzzleloaderstrd

I paid $230 for mine. A decent deal IMO.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 PM

even though i'm only 19 i'm old school in the fact thatI've never done any shooting with the pellets. what kind of ballistics and accuracy can i expect from these. and is it logical for hunting in pa
Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are referring to my post, rest assured that the PA pellet works incredibly well, and best, with loose powder. While it is designed to shoot pellets, I only recommend loose. It is very similar in design to the TC firestorm, possible better because of the funnel design. I do not see any benefit to shooting pellets out of it because you still have to place a trickle charge of loose in the gun with pellets.
Why bother with pellets at all?
If you did want to shoot pellets, the easiest way is to dump a couple of pushes of your primer down the barrel before placing the pellets.
I shoot 777 2f out of it and prime with genuine Goex ffffg.
Because of it's design, it ignites 777 loose very well.
Good luck with your choice!
As far as being suitable for hunting in PA, it is ideal. As a flinter it is completely legal for ALL seasons, including late flintlock season in PA.
I shoot 80 gr. 777 ffg, 295 gr. Powerbelt hollow point or 270 gr. Buffalo Maxi ball-et. Prime with Goex ffffg. I have VERY good groups at 50 yards
and I am working onmy 100 yard groups. Being a flinter, and with open sights, 100 yard shots are something to practice on. I am sure that any
undesireable results at 100 yards are solely my fault as I still am working on the flinch and the fact that the front bead blots out the target at that range. I am confident that I could easily kill any deer out to 70 yards at my skill level right now. I have very little difference in POI between 50 and 100 yards. Scopes are prohibited for use in flintlock seasons in PA, and why would you want to put a scope on a flintlock in the first place?
This is exactly the gun I have:
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R3810856
Old 01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

For a flinter, I'd listen to Cayugad. I like my T/C Hawkens and Renegades (the older Renegade with double triggers). The Lyman Deerstalker and Lyman in general have reliable locks too. The only thing I'm not crazy about with the Deerstalker is the single trigger. It is just too heavy for my taste. I much prefer the "hair" trigger on the T/Cs once you pull the set trigger.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard the Davide-Pedersoli rifles are good. You might want to look at the Rocky Mountain Hawken. I heard it is nice rifle and alot like the Lyman. Here is the link to their web page. http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/default.aspx?lang=en
Old 01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, the Rocky Mountain Hawken is not flint.They do have many other rifles to look at.