Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barrel Cleaning & Flushing >

Barrel Cleaning & Flushing

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel Cleaning & Flushing

Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Barrel Flushing

Actually, I engineered this little trick originally because with a scope on, it was always in the way of the funnel.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Barrel Flushing

How often do you barrle flush? I shot mine today swabbShould I use hot water each time?ed the barrel added cleaner swabbed again,then oiled it.Should I use hot water each time rifle is fired?
thx for your reply.
lizzzard
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barrel Cleaning & Flushing

Should I use hot water each time rifle is fired?
Personally I flush with hot water, follow with dry patchs and finish with lightly oiled patch each time I have fired my ML.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

At the end of the season, for an extended interval after firing or if in rainy weather.
I've done this with the barrels in the stock or remove., with or without scopes.

From the breach plug end... Remove and clean thoroughly the breach plug. When the breach plug is dry, I oil the entire plug and palce in a small plastic bag. I don't lleave the breach plug installed for extended storage. Personal preferance. I also leave the actions "open" on all my weapons as well for air circulation.
Clean with a patch and bore solvent a couple of times such as "Butch's Bore Shine" to remove any plastic, copper or lead and fouling.
Then a dry patch.
Then I flush with hot water unitl the entire barrel is hot to the touch and then wire brush several strokes and then again with the hot water until the entire barrel is very hot to the touch.
Then, 2-3 dry patches.
Then, a couple of alcohol patches.
Followed with another dry patch.
Wait about 10 minutes or so.
Then, oil patchwith your favorite lube. I use "Otis U85, but I also use "Break Free".
Then after the barrel has completely cooled in an hour or so, I run anther oiled patch through to catch any residual moisture and apply a final coat of protectant.
Good until next year or the next time to be used.

Then before shooting, 2-3 alcohol patches followed with a couple of dry patches to get the bore really clean and dry.
Load and go shooting.

IMHO...
Best,
Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tah

I don't re-install my nipples or plugs on my stored rifles either. For a week, I'll store mine muzzle-down .. then turn them over in the safe because they fit better (need a bigger, taller safe).

For many years I thought Ballistoil was the worst smelling cleaning, lubing, storing oil (CLP),. however I think Breakfree CLP has it beat. I borrowed it to a friend last week & when he returned it, I lathered my 50-cal pistol barrel with it because the Kroil in it has been there for a couple of months & I don't trust it in that seldom-used barrel that may only get fired every 2 years.

As soon as I sprayed that Breakfree on a patch, it reminded me never to buy that stuff again. Yucky aroma.... I'll stick with Birchwood-Casey Sheath, sometimes their fine Synthetic option or-even Rem-Oil with Teflon I keep on hand. I'll limit the Breakfree use from now-on to once-every-two-years light cleaning/oiling of the lock/trigger assemblies. That stuff is the best for those functions.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Too funny...
I used to store all guns upside down so that excessive lube does not wick into stocks and actions. When I was marketing my need for a larger gunsafe to my lady she figured out what I was doing and that was taking up more room than required and thus veto'ed my safe upgrade.

Now I just stick a couple of dry patches into the breach area to catch any lube from running down into the actions and stocks.
Works just fine. And the wife is happy which means I'm happy.