Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone shoot small bore?  Experiences? >

Anyone shoot small bore? Experiences?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone shoot small bore? Experiences?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone shoot small bore? Experiences?

Hello all, been a while since I have posted in ML forum. Right now I have a CVA Bobcat .50 and load 80 grs of Pyrodex RS behind either a patched round ball or Buffalo Ball-et and am getting adequate results. My plan is to use that gun this fall with the ET's for elk and deer if I can draw a tag.

But I have a gap, kinda like centerfire rifles, where I have a .223 remington for varmints, and a .30-06 for big game.

I have a "need" (actually more like a want) for a small game ML. I see that Cabela's has a Blue Ridge Percussion ML available in .32 and .36 cal. This would be used for rabbits and maybe coyotes.

Does anyone have one of these guys? (or another brand small caliber)?

This may be a purchase in the next year or so, just not exactly sure on the caliber, and which powder to use...ffg, or fffg. Also, how much powder are you using and the patch size? I would imagine the patch size would most likely be the .015" just like the .50 cal.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone shoot small bore? Experiences?

For rabbits I've got a good load for them using my .50 Lyman. I shoot 25grs. of Goex behind a patched roundball. It's a real accurate load, no recoil at all. You're going for head shots, beats buying another rifle. Course I wouldn't mind getting a .32 or .36 either. But this works real well so haven't bothered.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a custom 36 cal barrel for a NEF ML ,I shoot a 10/1000 patch and 15 - 40 gr equ. of 777 and a 209 primer.The 15 gr + rb load is great for squirels , rabits and close chucks.
For chucks and yotes I use a TC Maxi ball ( mold no longer made I think) and 40 gr equ. of 777.
You will have to play with patch thicknes and load in your gun and never go over the recomended loads
Old 12-16-2004, 06:24 AM

I have a .36 Douglas barrel that fits in my .45 Hawken stock.
Patched round ball and 40 grains FFF.
I used it in my teens(man was that a long time ago!) for competitive shooting.
Worked great on small game too!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: charlie brown
I have a "need" (actually more like a want) for a small game ML. I see that Cabela's has a Blue Ridge Percussion ML available in .32 and .36 cal. This would be used for rabbits and maybe coyotes.

Does anyone have one of these guys? (or another brand small caliber)?
I have a Traditions Crockett rifle that I use for squirrels. It is a nice, little, inexpensive rifle that shoots very accurately with a .311 ball, .018 ticking patch and 20 grns Fffg Swiss.