Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What small bore bolt-action to buy? >

What small bore bolt-action to buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What small bore bolt-action to buy?

Old 10-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What small bore bolt-action to buy?

I'm asking this question because I have almost no experience with bolt action rifles (other that the time I was 14 and one of my Dad's friends introduced my to both the 7mm Wby. Mag and the meaning of Whetherby eye-liner at the same time!).

I would like to buy a nice, bull-barreled, very accurate, small-bore rifle to play with at the range that won't cost a fortune to shoot. I'm really interested in bench-rest medium to long range shooting, and would also like to reload. I'm between the .223 Rem, 22-250, or maybe a .243 or .270. I'd also like to keep recoil at a manageable level so my wife won't be afraid to shoot it. I have experience with the .223 with the M-16A2, so I'm familiar with its recoil for comparison.

So my questions are: Which caliber from the above is likely to yield the best accuracy and is a good candidate for reloading?

What Brand/model of rifle would you suggest as the best value in terms of cost vs. accuracy? I really have no preference to make, but cost is an issue (less than $750 for just the rifle, around $500 preferred).

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-10-2002, 06:31 AM

Default RE: What small bore bolt-action to buy?

I like the 22-250 or a 220 swift in either the Savage or Remington heavy barrel rifles. There are lots of good choices.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:10 AM

For just strickly paper punching, the .223 would be the most affordable (as far as factory ammo). Plus the barrel life would be longer than a 22-250.

As far as brand, everyone has there favorites. Since you mentioned cost, Savage would a good choice. Though the triggers need work. Other than that, I've found accurate and not so accurate examples of about every factory heavy barrel out there. I've had good luck with several Model 70 heavy barrels and a couple Remingtons as well. I haven't been super impressed with the few Ruger heavy barrels I've owned. The Sako and Tikka medium heavy barrels are super. The Tikka would defiantely fall within your price range.

I'd just look them over and pick the model that appeals to your eye and pocketbook.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm for accuracy and that price range id say a 700pss in 223 or a browning abolt in 223 with a boss...the 700pss ive shot in 308 and its accuracy was ok...nothing great...but than again i was 12 or so and was afraid of rifles that were bigger than a 22 and bolt action because i knew big bullets go in there and hurt when they come out...and i think the barrel was bad...i really like the abolt...my friend had on and on a freezing windy day at 100yds i had 3 shots touching and 2 a hair away...and that wasnt with hand loads...may run u more than 500 but for a rifle of that quality you have to pay....
Old 10-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger M-77VT or Winchester's m-70 "Coyote". All the calibers you mentioned are good calibers.I have a Winchester"Coyote" chambered in the 223.Not reloading in the last several years.I've been shooting old reloads I loaded 20 years ago and keeping them around 1.25"-1.5"
groups @ 100 yards. No telling what it will do with a worked up load.There is so much surplus 223 ammunition available,that was one reason I went with the 223 over the 22-250.The 270 is a great deer cartridge.Some will disagree but my opinion the 243 in light for deer sized game unless the shooter is quite experienced.Another caliber you might consider is a 308.I picked up a used Ruger M-77 VT in 308. The rifle has good feel.I picked it up a few months ago and haven't tried it out yet.I found the Winchester at Bass Pro shops for 559.00. The Ruger VT was over the 650.00 mark but they didn't have it in 223.The Ruger comes with scope rings where the Win doesn't. After buying the bases and rings it comes out about the same as the Ruger. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

diyj98 mentioned that the 22-250 would have a shorter barrel life, but how much shorter?

I've looked up the Tikka and Sako rifles (never heard of either), amd both seem really very nice. What kind of prices should I expect from both these brands?

I'm also considering Savage. The guy who got me interested in bench shooting had a Savage heavy BBL .308, and I was amazed that he could consistantly shoot golf balls at 200 yards (9 out of 10 hit, 1" groups). This from a new rifle and the rounds were reloads that weren't even worked up for that rifle. He might've been blowing smoke, but he said he thought he could get it better once he had time to work up loads. Needless to say I was amazed.

I really appreciate the suggestions,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Old 10-10-2002, 08:19 PM

I was looking at the winchester coyote and stealth in 22-250.My friend has 3 stealths and they all hold under 1" groups @100 yds.so I
just ordered a stealth when I get it I will let you know how it shoots.

Old 10-11-2002, 07:50 AM

The definition of barrel life varies depending upon your needs. I've had 22-250's that have had their average group size at 100 yards increase 1/4" or so after 2000 rounds or so. This would be a "totally ruined" barrel for a benchrest nut, but not such a big deal for a varmint hunter. All barrels are different, but I'd guess the mild .223 would hold it's best accuracy for a couple thousand rounds longer than a hot 22-250.

You should be able to find the Tikka heavy barrel for $600.00 or so. The Sako will run out of your budget range, probably $1100.00 or so. Both guns are more medium heavy barrels than bull barrels, but both have an excellent reputation for accuracy and great triggers. I have a .243 and a .308 sporter weight Tikka that both shoot up with many heavy barrel guns.

Edited by - diyj98 on 10/11/2002 08:56:35
Old 10-11-2002, 10:45 AM

i dont know about a particuler rifle or brand, but .223 is the way to go simply because ammo is every where and cheaper than anything, except maybe 7.62x39

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 10-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found the following rifle combo on the Savage website that seems like a really good deal and pretty much what I'm looking for I think.

http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire...e/12bvssxp.htm

This rifle is pretty much what the guy at the range had, except his was a .308.

Doe's anybody know anything about the Burris scope that it comes with? I can't find this exact scope mentioned in Burris' product line. I've never owned a scope nicer than an older Simmons 2-7x32 and a Simmons 4x32 on my muzzleloaders.

For a rifle in stainless steel, fluted barrel, target bedded stock, with a decent scope and aluminum hard case included for $1,100 msrp. If I hadn't heard so many good things about Savage, I'd think they were just dressing up a crappy rifle.

Mike

NRA Member