Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat? >

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

I dont really want to get into the whole QDM thing. I was wondering, for guys who usually let small 1.5 & 2.5 y/o 's walk, would you take a small buck if you were low on meat and weren't seeing many big bucks, or even does, and your season was almost over?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Nope. Plenty of cows. Doesn't bother me at all if anyone else does though, I'll be happy as hell for them, and the first to congratulate them.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

yes! il take a young buck anytime, especially on public land. i hunt for meat. horns are just a bonus. i think itl always be that way for me with a gun. now geme a few years more with my bow and i may start trophy hunting with it.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer to let the younger bucks walk and take does to eat...Last year I killed 8 does and one buck...

That being said, I hunt for meat, not antlers...I have no problem with guys doing what they want, it's their tag...
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

For freezer meat? Your damn right I would........and I do.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Does taste better anyway! If I ever shoot a buck hebetter have GREAT BIG HORNS!!! I haven't shot a buck in4 years, but does keep the freezer full and the little 4 and6 pointers are going to grow up sometime.

Aint like its a shortage of deer, if it was than maybe a button head would have to go down. If it is just for meat they are tastier.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand many guys would rather shoot a doe than a small buck, but just for argument sake, what if you weren't seeing any deer at all, bucks or does and you had a clear shot at a spike, would you shoot it, if you thought he might be the last deer you see all season?

Think about it, 10 months is a long time to go without any venison or the chance to get some. I dont know if I could go that long eating just chicken. LOL
Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

I understand many guys would rather shoot a doe than a small buck, but just for argument sake, what if you weren't seeing any deer at all, bucks or does and you had a clear shot at a spike, would you shoot it, if you thought he might be the last deer you see all season?

Think about it, 10 months is a long time to go without any venison or the chance to get some. I dont know if I could go that long eating just chicken. LOL

Like I said.......yes. And here is the answer to your last question. Yes again.....

Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ANYTIME
Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, let em' grow. I can whack does all day. Why shoot a little buck, I practice all year w/ gun and Xbow to get the shot at a buck of size. Let em' grow and breed.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.