Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lead vs. sabots

Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 AM

Default lead vs. sabots

Alot of people shoot both lead(maxi ball and others) and sabots with copperplated bullets but is there any differance at close range,i was shoothing both yesterday at 70 yards .With the sabots i hit the target 5 times the first 2 were 1 inch groups the other 3 about 3 to 4 inch without cleaning,then i cleaned and tried the lead bullets with no sabots,i shot 5 times almost the same pattern but to my surprise a little better on the last coulple,then i shot two sabots right behind the lead bullets without cleaning i was shooting at a paper plate i missed by a foot,loaded it one more time with a lead bullet without cleaning i hit the edge of the plate. The bullets were the same weight 300gr and i used the same powder load of 90gr. of loose 777. I think out at ranges of a 100 yards or more the sabots hold a litte better group after the first shot but i'm not sure because i have not compared them at that range.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lead vs. sabots

I haven't shot conicals in my Blk. Dia. just sabots. I have shot conicals in my renegade & they shoot 2-3'' groups. I will keep checking your post & learn with you!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: lead vs. sabots

The big difference your seeing is that conicals are usually a slip fit. That means they are meant to load easy, and then expand into the rifling once fired. Fowling is not as big a problem to them as to say a sabot, although if you will swab between shots on conicals the groups will normally improve.

I shoot a 460 grain .503 diameter No Excuses conicals out of my Black Diamond XR.

This was done at 100 yard off shooting sticks without swabbing. As you can see the conicals hold a real good group. Off the bench rest I can make them do even better, but I hunt off these same pair of shooting sticks and was going to hunt open fields that night and wanted to double check the load. You can see where the sabot hit (which is what the rifle was loaded with prior to shooting the conicals.) it is that smaller hole to the right.

Many people who find a conical that shoots good out of their rifles stick with them for a number of reasons. They are slip fit, so they load easier. They normally are not so fowling sensative. They are usually heavier so you have more down range energy when you hit. And they are actually bigger round. Not by much, .45 caliber VS .50 but still. Plus your not fooling around with the sabots. Also conicals tend to behave better in hot weather when shooting VS the sabot which can play strange tricks when the barrels get hot. (anyone who shoots a lot in the summer knows this).

I guess it is all a matter of choice. I have some sabot loads that shoot great out of the Black Diamond XR also. It is just that when I hunt in certain places, I want to stick as much lead in them and through them as possible to get some blood moving and on the ground in the event they run off......