Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pointed sabots

Old 11-26-2004, 05:34 PM

Default pointed sabots

i want to start shooting the pointed sabots and was wondering if there is anything special you need to load them seeming they have the platic points?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: pointed sabots

There are special jags for the end of the ramrod and short starter you can buy. Use them and you will do less damage to the point. Less damage to the point means greater accuracy.

Thompson Center makes a jag to fit the shockwaves and I believe if you go to Hornady's web site they sell a jag to fit the SST's which are the same bullet. These tips will work for most of the poly tip projectiles you're asking about....
Old 11-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

Yep both T/C and Hornady make tip for their pointed bullets. Barnes also makes a tip that fit's most any bullet EXCEPT those HiornadySSTs/TC Shockwaves. The RAT bullet loader put out by Precision Rifle will do it all for a few dollars more.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:28 AM
HP

Just wondering what kind of performance everyone is getting with shockwaves and ssts. I shot a doe at about 25 yards the other day and the 250 grain shockwave literally shattered. I found shards of lead and copper all in the heart and lungs and apparently a big part of the bullet turned at impact and created a hole in the ribcage that you could put you fist through on the same side as impact. However, that part didn't exit the hide. There was a small exit hole on the opposite shoulder, but no blood whatsoever. She dropped in sight, so it was ok. It does frighten me if the situation is different, especially if the shooting distance is further.
I don't know if the sst/shockwave is known for this or if the shattered bullet can be attributed to the short distance of the shot, like a nosler ballistic tip will often do at short range. I was surprised, and a little dissapointed.
What does everyone think? By the way, the shockwaves shoot a great group from my black diamond xr.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

HP

The Shockwave, SST .... really all copper-clad poly-tip, rifle-shaped ML bullets perform best at a minimum of 120 grains... on tougher, bigger game than thin-skinned deer. Read posts about the centerfire SST bullet in the Rifle Forum. You will find the most positive posts where shooters used magnum rifles/magnum speeds.. all on game larger than deer.

If you're looking for 'rip & tear' with more blood trails for deer hunting, the od fashioned hollow-point lead bullet is the best remedy when using 100 gr. powder charges in MLs. Unfortunately, these-type bullets offer a lower B.C. Shooting at a 150 yards or less, nothing beats a 275 gr. Precision Keith Nose bullet.

Precision Keith Nose Bullet
Old 12-14-2004, 08:03 AM
HP

Trip,
I am currently shooting 100 grains of 777 that, if I understand correctly, is equal to about 115 grains of black powder. That being said, I would expect the bullet to perform poorly in the opposite end of the spectrum (ie. no expansion, little penetration) rather than shattering if the powder load were too low. Maybe my logic doesn't apply in ballistics. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

HP

I never said "no expansion"!!!!!!!

I only expressed that proper bullet activity is present at 120 grains... dependent on where the bullet hits the animal. If you use 118 gr.equivalent.. that's how much 100 gr. 777 equals with Pyrodex RS/Goex (on average), then yours will still expand.... but in a majority of these bullets, not optimally.... maybe 90-98% effective (on average). Overall, these are premium bullets meant for game larger than deer when used in standard MLs.

Basically (not always & without using decimals)
85 777 = 100 Pyro
90 777 = 106 Pyro
95 777 = 112 Pyro
100 777 = 118 Pyro