Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blooded my Omega

Old 11-19-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Blooded my Omega

Well it was a lousy day to hunt when I got up, but I went out anyway. I took the Omega and went to my spot. The whole morning it was drizzy and miserable. When it got light enough to see I found I had passed where I wanted to be and so I moved back the way I came and in the proccess spooked a doe. She ran and stopped about 150, but by the time I got into position to shoot she had taken off again.

When I got where I wanted to be I stopped and wiped my glasses and busted the frame! I guess it must have been weak as it took almost no effort to do so. Man was I ticked. I ended up heading back to the car to drive home, then changed my mind and went to find my wife Angie so she could run me into the eyecare place. I was afraid that they would not have my frame because I had gotten it a little over 2 years ago. When I got there, the lady who I talked to said they could order a frame for me as all they had was the display. [:@] Then the eye doc came out and told her to sell me the display. Man was I happy.

Anyway it was about 10:30 when we got home so we went ahead and ate dinner and went back out. I knew my time was limited because I have to be home at 3:00 to get my son off the bus. While I was walking in to my spot I noticed a deer laying just inside the treeline 20 yds off. I couldn't tell what it was because it was laying down with it's head and rear behind a tree. Since I had an either sex and an antlerless tag I decided to shoot it. When I c ocked the Omega, the deer raised it's head and looked at me. I could tell it was a fawn but decided to shoot it anyway.

I couldn't see where the shoulders were but from where her head was I made a guess. Well I aimed wrong. I took out both shoulders with the barnes. It did not exit, but I was unable to locate the bullet. I felt around on the inside of the opposite shoulder and it was a mess.

Anyway here's my first deer with the Omega. I'll go back out tommorow because I have 2 more days this season. 2nd season I have 4 and I can use my Muzzleloader tag for that too. Then I'll have another 3 days for muzzleloader season. After that is the late firearm, and if I get my tag for it I'll have another 3 days to hunt.

Not a good picture, but hey it's a scanned polaroid.[/quote]
Old 11-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blooded my Omega

You killed Bambi??....lol

Actually, I did it once. It sure was the most tender venison meat I ever had. But I told myself afterwards I'd never do it again. So far, I've held true to my word. Even had one that size start licking me as I slept in my hunting chair one time. Now that's a strange feeling -- being awoken by a wild animal licking your gloved hand right in front of your face as your eyes slowly open. Needless to say.... I jumped up outa' that chair a mile high & a mile wide.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:10 PM

Had I reloaded after shooting I could have had another that acted the same way. It was about 50 yds away from the spot where I shot this one. This is actually my fourth fawn. They sure make great eating even though the steaks are a little small.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

One thing about them small ones, you can not get better table meat then right there. I do not care what store you go to.... I have shot them because of the strange seasons we have in Wisconsin. We call them Webers. We used to take them and clean them then quarter them and put them on Weber grills. WOW... talk about good eating..
Old 11-27-2004, 11:20 PM

Well I can't belive what happened today..... I hear some shots around my house around 10:30 and decided to get my butt in gear and head out (11:00). Just off my backyard (40ft) I setup next to a scotch pine I had chopped down. Pulled out my call set it on Hot Doe and began bleeping. About 11:25 60ft to my 2 o'clock position a doe. Looked to be last years doe and I had a tag to fill. When she walked behind the tree I pulled up my gun (TC Omega) and out she came. She kept moving and wouldn't stop, so I yelled "YO" and Bam ( hit 4" behind heart took out lungs). She took off to my left for about 20 yds, turned right down the hill for another 70 yds. Saw the deer pile up and watched the tail wave at me for a bit. Walked down checked her out and radio'ed the boss of the kill. Pulled off the coat and pulled on the surgical gloves. Put my knees on the insides of the legs to start work and there it was......mmmm its a buck, a button buck (@100lbs). Gutted him dragged him up the hill (that really sucked). Washed him out and carred him up to the car (my driveway is the highest point of the property). Went back to the house to grab a coat and back up to the car. I get there and in pulls a NYSDEC truck! Glad I tagged the deer. I opened up with "Are you here to see me or the wife?", "the wife" (my wife just had surgery and works for DEC). "She's in the house and the deer is in the car." Being the biologist they are they had to look over my deer. One said nice doe looks like last years... Nope it's a buck I replied. We all smiled and shook our heads. They couldn't resist and logged in the deer.
Just a different day...
Old 11-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Them little bucks are foolers to be sure. I am sure with the Earn a Buck program here in Wisconsin, where we have to shoot a doe before we can shoot a buck, a lot of small bucks and fawns were shot this year. The one thing about them, they sure are good to eat. I took a young doe with a bow, and while hunting yesteday, had a roast in the crock pot with some carrots, potatoes and onions. What a treat to come back to after hunting all day in the cold.

Congratulations ccicora on your deer.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:48 AM

Thank you, That is the second deer I have taken with a ML. (1st last year with my TC BD SS) The Omega I am shooting is the All hardwoods Camo that Cabela's had on sale. I know people like to shoot the big guys but a) they don't eat as good b) with less competition for food those left have more. just my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:35 PM

Congratulations to both of you guys. I can't wait for 2nd season ML here in PA.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:53 PM

Been busy moving and the phone just got hooked up a couple hours ago.

My total was three for first firearm season (3 days). Two yearling does and a 3 yr old doe. The other yearling was shot at a laser verified 201 yds and the adult doe at an estimated 50 yds. All three were shot with my Omega. Got one Muzzleloader tag for second season (4 days) which starts Thursday. After that I've got 3 more days (muzzleloader only) if I don't shoot anything second season.