Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1ST DEER STORIES....BLOODED

Old 01-07-2002, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default 1ST DEER STORIES....BLOODED

ON YOUR FIRST DEER YOU EVER SHOT, DID YOU GET ANY BLOOD DUMPED ON YOU... I WAS LOOKING AT PICTURES OF MY FIANCE'S BROTERS HOUSE, THE 1ST DEER HE SHOT HE GOT BLOOD POURED ON HIM, (WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME) BUT MAN, THEY GUTTED THE DEER OUT AND MAD HIM PUT HIS WHOLE BODY IN SIDE THE DEER, HE WAS PULLED OUT ALL BLOODY IN THE PICS,,,, IT WAS THE CRAZIEST THING IVE SEEN....
Old 01-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1ST DEER STORIES....BLOODED

No blood , But my uncles all used to talk about eating the liver raw . I did see them smear blood on new hunters faces . I was by myself when I got my first deer so didn't get initiated.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope I've never even heard of anything like that happening around here in East Tx? The first time I heard of anything like that was when I came to this board.

The whole idea seems kinda silly but I'm sure its all in fun. I will be suprised if someone doesn't come along on this thread and post about how this looks bad for hunters and we shouldn't talk about it. It ain't for me, but whatever initiations go on in your camp are your business.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:41 PM

I had my shirt tail cut off. Its my buddies tradition. And I really liked wearing that shirt too! heh well Its a barn shirt now.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, but on my first hunt I had to help field-dress the kill (my uncles). They were just testing to see if this 15yr old city kid (me) had the stomach or if I would balk.

Now I hunt at my room-mates camp, it sounds unbelievable but he has shot 2 deer and hundreds of ducks and has never cleaned a single kill, I used to berate him and refuse to do his dirty work but have since given up, he will skin and pluck but won't field dress! He head shot a doe this year and sat beside it for an hour till his dad and brother came along and cleaned it for him!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tschaef, your buddy wouldn't last long around here. If I had refused to clean my kill I will assure you that would have ended my hunting. What is this guy gonna do when his dad ain't around? Guess he can'g go hunting by himself. No offense meant at all, but you are right, that is odd.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:59 PM

blooding the hunters face on the occasion of there first deer kill is an old southern custom,along with cutting the shirt tail if they miss.take the shirt tail and nail on the camp wall.you write there name and date on the miss on it.
all in good camp fun.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.