Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 scope on a side hammer >

scope on a side hammer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope on a side hammer

Old 11-19-2004, 05:04 AM

Default scope on a side hammer

do any of ya'll have a scope on a side hammer gun.I have a tc renegade and a tc white mountain carbine,i had the carbine drilled and taped and have a 3x9x40 tasco prong horn on it .my problem is i can' get the bullet down low enough,you can move the setting all the way down but it still hits about 9in high.The gunsmith told me i might have this happen with the see through mounts but the only way to use low mounts is to heat the hammer and bend it to the side a little.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:18 AM

Default RE: scope on a side hammer

little-d =place a shim under the rear mount
Old 11-19-2004, 05:47 AM

Just got a scope put on my CVA Frontier Hunter Carbine. It had scope mounts already, but I have yet to shoot it. Hope I don't have any problems! I'm really hoping to use it this year to hunt!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:05 AM

they do sell brass shims for the bases mounts if needed,also a good idea is to
use a aluminum can and cut some shims and tag them alone to the range if needed you got them there to make any adjustment.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Renegade drilled & tapped , then i put a tasco 4x40 scope on it. I pushed scope forward into the rings enough that it cleared hammer by a 1/4 inch. Shoots Maxi-balls & Maxi-hunters into 3'' groups.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

T/C sell rings and mounts for their various models. If you did not use them, that's what I would do first. Shims should not be necessary. One thing I might try is to switch your rings and/or mounts around, assuming they are "interchangeable" and not designated as front or rear.

If you are shooting high, the back end of the scope is too high. If you do use shims, make sure to shim the front end. Adjust your scope to the center of its adjustment range and get it hitting as close as you can by varying shim thickness. Then use scope adjustments for final sighting in.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Be careful with shims. If not done carefully you can bend the tube on the scope and then it is good for NADA, nothing, zilch! Don't over shim the back with out doing the front.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Click Here To Purchase Scope Mount Shim Kit

I have a custom T/C Renegade/Hawkens mount that places the rings & scope at a 45 degree angle to avoid hitting the hammer. The front screw of the mount goes in your rear sight screw hole -- the rear mount screw hole aligns perfectly at a breech screw hole. I see them being sold at foxridgeoutfitters.com. When you reach the site, find the phone number there & call them. The product numbers for octagon scopes listed there is confusing to my feeble brain... lol. [:@][]

Click Here For T/C Renegade Mount
Old 11-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: little-d

do any of ya'll have a scope on a side hammer gun.I have a tc renegade and a tc white mountain carbine,i had the carbine drilled and taped and have a 3x9x40 tasco prong horn on it .my problem is i can' get the bullet down low enough,you can move the setting all the way down but it still hits about 9in high.The gunsmith told me i might have this happen with the see through mounts but the only way to use low mounts is to heat the hammer and bend it to the side a little.
Like this y'mean??

Old 11-23-2004, 01:57 PM

If I were to put a scope on a sidelock, I'd use the scope from Simmons made for smokepoles. It's tube is not round, but octogon shaped to match the barrel. I think it looks kind of sweet.