Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for new rifle load information >

Looking for new rifle load information

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for new rifle load information

Old 10-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Looking for new rifle load information

I have coming to the house a new rifle. It is a Tradition's PA Pellet .50 caliber Flintlock. The rifle has a 1:48 twist with the black composite stock and nickel barrel with fiber optic sights. Not all that traditional but it does sound very functional.

Traditions claims they are sabot shooters. I know the 1:48 twist (depending on the debth of rifling) are both roundball and conical shooters many times. Sabots would be a real plus for hunting. If any one has one of these rifles and information on possible loads it would be appreciated. If I can get the rifle tuned fast enough I might give it a turn this deer season....
Old 10-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for new rifle load information

hehehe, I already knew that!

Good goin', at least someone is getting new toys. I'm almost as excited as you to hear about your experiences with it, cause I have the same gun.

Although they call it PA Pellet and the say it shoots pellets, I find it is easier and probably more reliable just to use loose. To use pellets they tell you to dump a trickle charge of BP in to fill the ignition channel in the breech plug. Seems to me to be easier just to dump the whole charge in loose and be done with it.

I didn't buy it because it shoots pellets anyway, I got one because of the improved lock that it comes with over their other flint models, and the fact that I could get nickel and synthetic in a well made gun for a nice price.
I'm happy with mine and wish you luck with yours.

Let me know how those ball-ets work out of her won't you? I need an alternative to PB's. Then I could shoot a whole lot more!

(80 gr 777-295 gr PB HP-goex ffffg)
Old 10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I am going to try the ball-ets, 240 T/C Mag Express XTP's, but I never would have throught to try the 295 HP Powerbelts. I will have to pick some of them up at the store next time....

I do not shoot Triple Se7en for the most part. I like Goex FFFg instead of it. We will keep you posted for sure livbucks
Old 10-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am impressed with the performance of 777 in my flint. I have enjoyed superfast ignition with it and as soon as water hits it, it is GONE from the barrel. As a matter of fact, to clean the breechplug, all I do is drop it in the water and when I pull it out it is sparkling clean. How is BP as far as cleaning? I only use it to prime with so I would not know. What I do know is that BP would be MUCH cheaper to charge with, that is for sure. I paid $23 a pound for 777.

Oh, if you are gonna try PB, pull out you wallet 'cause they are .75 a pop!
See why I want an alternative to plink with?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Since I buy my black powder (Goex) in bulk from [link]http://www.powderinc.com[/link] I get the stuff for around $11.00 a pound with shipping and hazmat fee. When you shoot as much as I do, it is the only way to go. I use more of the FFFg grade because it is much closer in strength to the Triple Se7en powder and it seems to burn cleaner. You also do not get the hard crud ring that a lot of people report. I use the alcohol and windex as a swab and it cleans out good.

As for clean up with black powder... well it takes more then water, but I never figured it would be easy. I still give the barrel abath with hot soap and water and it is amazing how fast it cleans up. Some solvent and a brush and we are back in business.

I have a little Triple Se7en FFg around the house. I will try a few loads with that also. I asked at the store in the big city if they have Triple Se7en in FFFg but they do not carry it....
Old 10-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have experienced the crud ring but even that dissolves instantly when you put water thru the barrel. Some folks have told me to use 777 in fffg and less crud will appear. The place around the corner stocks Goex as well as 777 ffg and fffg. How convenient is that?
Old 10-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

One note about your gun. When you get it, the first thing you will want to do is remove the lock and adjust the trigger pull. It is as easy to do as adjusting the volume on a radio. Traditions makes it adjustable alright but they leave it VERY heavy out of the box, probably for liability reasons. I adjusted mine and it is real nice now. Just turn in the little screw on the sear until the catch is just enough. I thought about polishing the sear when I get time. A little lube works wonders too.

You probably already knew how to do this though, I put it here just in case.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Livbucks... actually no I had no idea how to adjust the trigger... Thanks. I will look into that first thing when I clean the rifle for the first shooting....