Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Unable to load T/C Shockwave Sabots >

Unable to load T/C Shockwave Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unable to load T/C Shockwave Sabots

Old 10-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Unable to load T/C Shockwave Sabots

I have a brand new T/C Hawken 50 cal. and I bought the T/C Shockwave Sabots. I cannot use them because they are so tight. Anybody have any Ideas why???? I don't want to plug the barrel up buy not being able to seat bullet.

HELPPPPPPPPPPP
Old 10-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unable to load T/C Shockwave Sabots

Did you read the thread "BP version of an SAT analogy"? It is so funny that you would post this right after that thread. Just drives home what I was talking about. Seriously though, I don't think they should be that tight in a new gun with a clean bore, unless there is some manufacturing residue in the barrel that you failed to remove. I have heard that you MUST properly clean the bore before using a new gun for the first time.
Or maybe you bought the wrong size sabots.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

DD, I really do not have a solution for you as I too have a TC Hawken, probably 3 years old now and I can not get any combination of sabot/bullet to go down the barrel, without standing on the ram rod. It does however, accept PowerBelts with out a problem in fact they even seem a bit tight. Another, odditiy of this particular gun, don't ever dry patch it, especially after a after a shot because you will not get the patch and rod back out, it is that tight. If you put a damp patch down no problem, but a dry one you are looking for trouble.

Most conicals are really tough to get down also...
Old 10-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

welcome diesel dog, you could do a search and you might get some ideas, a friend of mine has a encore in 209X50, he bought his used and we cannot get sabots to load w/o it getting scary, i mean you have to stand on the ramrod[:-], so we used some advice on one of these post about running a maxi-ball or a buffalo ball down the barrel and then running it back out and checking it, well we did and as soon as i can post pic from digital camera i will, but this bullet looks terrible, we have scrubbed his barrel with everything we could think of to no avail, i think this one is going to have to make the trip back to t/c. and i'm not bashing t/c i have the same gun/barrel and have no problems i also have a black diamond, both are great shooters, as are all the t/c products i have but his barrel really has us scratching our heads[&o]
Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Diesel Dog

Contact T/C by phone only. When someone answers, ask for Jack in the gun tech department. Tell him your concerns about wanting to shoot the thicker magnum sabots & suggest to him that the rifle needs to go back. Ask Jack to install a new barrel miked as close to .502 that he has. I'm sure they will comply. T/C has the best warranty in the business. The only cost to you will be one-way shipping with insurance.... roughly $14-$15.

Shipping Address

Thompson/Center Arms
Farmington Road
Rochester, NH 03867

Telephone #
603-322-2333

This post of mine also applies to poster "Sabotloader". With a single complaint over the phone -- regardless of the age of the rifle -- T/C will likely replace it as long as you insist you want to load sabots with thicker sabots.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:45 AM

I've been reading alot of these " too tight" threads lately. I have a CVA eclipse that used for the first time 2 weeks ago and had no problems with loading anything. Shot 3 different types of sabots. Took a total of 10 shots w/out a problem. What I did notice though was that a small 1/4 of an inch buildup ring at the end of the barrel. This seemed to be from pushing in the plastic jackets. It did not effect the accuracy , only the amount of pressure I needed to load the last three shots. Once I cleaned , the ring was gone. The only prep work I did before shooting was cleaning the entire ML. Hope I dont run into the too tight issue
Old 10-21-2004, 07:05 PM

I had the same problem with my CVA Firebolt, now you can go with the Powerbelts, they load easy. I use my thumb.

The TC Shockwave even broke my loader. Now its PB all the way.

Tom
Old 10-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

I gave away my Shockwaves because they wouldn't load in my Encore. I switched to Dead Center bullets from Precision Bullets and I won't be looking back! Without time to really work up a good load, I just tried two Pyrodex pellets and was instantly shooting 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Good enough for now and I'm sure I can do better. I shot a nice doe Thursday night and WOW. Forty yards head-on in the chest and it knocked that deer off it's feet. I think you should be looking at conicals for your Hawken though. I have very good luck in my T/C sidelock with 385 grain Horaday Great Plains bullets. The slower twist of your barrel works better with conicals. Check Precision's web page for those too. Jim