Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sabots for SST/Shockwave >

Sabots for SST/Shockwave

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabots for SST/Shockwave

Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM
HP

Default Sabots for SST/Shockwave

Hey guys. I know this has been discussed before, but I just bought a new box of Shockwave 250s and the sabots were noticably different from the ones in the box purchased just last year. I also have a box of SSTs that I've never used. My question is, what kind of sabot can I buy that I can use with all of these projectiles. I want consistency and the ability to use all of these projeciles. I know MMP and Harvester have what I need. Which is best, what size and color?
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sabots for SST/Shockwave

Do the present sabots load hard? I shoot the same sabot out of both my T/C and my Knight. I am not sure of the make that comes with the Shockwave but I think they are Harvester. What kind of rifle are you shooting them out of?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 PM
HP

No loading problems. The problem is that there are three different sabots for the same bullet. Just want some consistency with what I am loading.
I shoot a black diamond xr.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

HP

Here is my attempt to explain...
Orignally the 250's shock waves came with a Harvester Sabot
Then TC had MMP make one for them - it was to thick (HPH-12)
Then MMP changed the sabot to HPH-12 a thinner sabot...

At this time MMP is also making a Green HPH-24 (thin) Green sabot for TC (44 caliber) but can not sell it to the public... I tried to order some last week...

I also am guessing that two of the sabots are black and I am thinking the orginal Harvester was red - just guessing...
Old 12-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I also shoot a Black Diamond XR but really do not know what to tell you about the difference in sabots. I just buy the 200 & 250 grain T/C Shockwaves at my local Wal Mart and shoot them with excellent results. When I first got the rifle, I ordered some SST's with a sabot that I could not load. I had to change them over to a Harvester Claybuster Sabot and then I got great results.

After that, I began searching for a good Shockwave or SST and poster Triple Se7en was the one that suggested I buy the Shockwaves with the sabot that came with them. I have never looked back and that is what I shoot, along with a lot of other projectiles...
Old 12-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

I am seeking help, I have shot hornady sst 300 grains out of my encore for the last 2 seasons, loading has been snug but reasonable. This years batch of 300 SST you literally have to stand on the range rod to load them, Does anyone have an advice on what sabots I should buy to replace the ones that came with my SST's. Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lowtempguru

I am seeking help, I have shot hornady sst 300 grains out of my encore for the last 2 seasons, loading has been snug but reasonable. This years batch of 300 SST you literally have to stand on the range rod to load them, Does anyone have an advice on what sabots I should buy to replace the ones that came with my SST's. Thanks in advance
Perhaps Sabotloader or Triple Se7en can best answer that question for you. There are certain sabots that are thinner in design and would help with your loading problems, but I am not that aware of all the different ones. I am fortunate because my rifles are not all that fussy. I keep some Harvesters, MMP, Knights, and sub bases around in different sizes and it seems to suit my needs just fine. I know that MMP makes the different thickness, but I could not tell you which one to buy. Those two seem to be really up on that sabot stuff...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

lowtempguru

This years batch of 300 SST you literally have to stand on the range rod to load them
Here is my take on the situation - Hornady SST's (red tipped)normally come with MMP sabots and MMP has made new strides in their sabots by moving to a tougher plastic (providing less plastic fouling if you are suseptible to it)- so your new SST's probably have the new HPH-12 sabot. This is the thicker variety of 50/.451-.452 sabot. If your sabot is black - check the bottom of your sabot if it has a stepped cup it is MMP if it is a smooth cup it is probably a Harvester

Thompson Center Shockwaves (yellow tipped) usually came with Harvester sabots, but recently TC delt with MMP and did get some their thicker MMP-HPH-12 sabots - now that has all been rectified and the new packages have the newer and thinner MMP-HPH-24 sabot. I would not doubt if they were still getting some Harvester sabots also.

If you want to continue to purchase Hornady SST's you have these options to try...
a) Pull the production sabots and replace them with MMP-HPH-24's or the current Harvester black 50cal .45/.452 sabot -
b) Next option is the current Harvester "Crush Rib" black sabot for 50 .451-.452 bullets. - I believe it is the thinnest sabot on the maket today.

But remember if you get to loose you will loose some velocity... My choice is to get a snug fitting sabot that provides accuracy and will work in the woods in all temps without using a short starter.

Hope this helps..

mike

Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
HP

So, MMP HPH-24 is the one. Correct? My question is, do we have any assurance that TC won't change again? I know you can't answer that. My point was, again, consistency. Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

HP

I am not sure what you are indicating...

Hornady SST's will probably come with the HPH-12
The new TC Shockwaves - should come with the HPH-24 or a black Harvester

The BULLET - SST or Shockwave are the same except the tip color - the sabots supplied are not...

If you are using Shockwaves and they are stiff getting down then try changing sabots to a HPH-24 or Black Harvester - if that fails them go to a Harvester "Crush Rib"

hope this all makes sense...

Quick Reply: Sabots for SST/Shockwave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.