Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA FireBolt 209 Ultra Magnum >

CVA FireBolt 209 Ultra Magnum

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA FireBolt 209 Ultra Magnum

Old 09-20-2004, 08:23 PM

Default CVA FireBolt 209 Ultra Magnum

I was looking at this smokepole today, and I like it alot...what are your opinions on this rifle?
I already have a .50 and .54 caliber rifles, so I was considering a .45, What can I do with this? Does anybody have a .45, how does it work on big game? I will probally go with the .50, but just curious...

Thank You
Old 09-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CVA FireBolt 209 Ultra Magnum

I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and love it. At first I was having trouble w/accuracy when I was shooting the Powerbelt bullets. For some reason my gun just didn't like them. I then switched to the 200 gr. T/C shocwaves and I can shoot about 2 inch groups at 100 yds. I have a 3x9x40 var II leupold on it. I have shot several whitetails with it, and one buck at 170 yds. I have never had a problem with it, every deer was a pass through and easy tracking or no tracking involved. I don't think I will change for quite a while. It took me several smoke poles before I finally found one I like and feel confident with. There is nothing worse than going out with a gun and not having any confidence in it, now I don't have that feeling. Good luck with yours if you get one.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 AM

my wife and I both have the CVA mag-bolt 150.in 45 cal.
we shoot pyrodex pellets and power-belts bullets.I have taken several bucks with mine out to about 150 yards with no problems.complete pass through ; awsome blood trail with the 45's.
the wife has taken several hogs,dropped (no trailing)
good luck with yours.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 50 cal hunterbolt mag rather then the 45 cal. which is the same exact rifle as the firebolt except 2 things yours has a fluted barrel and price tag thats 40 dollars more then mine. yet I still have the 26 inch barrel and everything else thats on yours. I love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. it shoots great with 100 grains of pyrodex pellets behind a TC's mag express sabots w/ 45 cal 240 grain Hornady XTP mag bullets. I just got it a year ago and blasted a deer with it last deer season was about a 100 yard shoulder shot on a 200+ lbs buck the bullet completely passed through the animal it stumbled around for second like a drunken sailor and fell over just a few feet from where he was shot. when I field dressed it I examined the wound channels what I determined is when the bullet hit the deers left shoulder the bullet and bone fragments shredded its heart the bullet exited and was lodged in its upper front leg on the right side, other bone fragments pierced both lungs and the liver and must have been a larger chunk of bone that created what looked like another exit wound on the right side of the rib cage. I would say he was dead before he hit the ground. the xtp mag bullet was recovered and weighed It didnt quite expand how I expected but it had almost 90% weight retention.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:55 PM

I have owned my Firebolt for 2.5 years and have had no problems.I took it coyote hunting and shot a 70 lbs. female at 217 yrd. She was on a dead sprint when I hit her and she dropped in her tracks.My Firebolt is in the .45 cal. and I use the Precision Rifle .357 Dead Center bullet that weighs 195 grains with 120 grains of Triple 7 FF.This inline shoots 1/2 MOA and I wouldn't trade it for any other in line out there.

Good Luck