Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Too Much?? >

300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Too Much??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Too Much??

Old 01-13-2004, 05:46 AM

Default 300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Too Much??

Is the recoil too much in the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum? I know it depends upon a lot of factors (load, bullet weight, gun weight, etc), but with a factory load is it managable? Could you shoot 20 rounds at a range and want to do it again at a later date?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:02 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: 300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Too Much??

In the words of another guy on this forum which I really liked.

Quote from gregwth7mmmag
Asking how bad an Ultramag kicks and how loud it is, compares to asking the price of a Rolls Royce. If you have to ask, then you probably cant handle it,lol. Its like touching off two 30-06 rounds at once, in the same gun. Very loud, it rattles a friend windows down the road from the range. Ive had great luck with accuracy of factory loads thus far. Ive shot my best groups with this gun. It can be painful to shoot at times, but then I didnt buy it for it not to kick!

It really isn't something to worry about. Its really all in your head. I see 160lb guys that shots 460weatherby that goes to Africa regularly. They do it, and don't think about it. Me, when they offer to let me shoot, I think about it. Therefore, it hurts. And I usually only shoot one, maybe two rounds. Before buying a 300RUM, find someone to let you shoot theres. You will be surprised. I have really light 30-06's that kicks compariably. It does have to do with the butt of the gun. In my head anyway.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

While developing loads for both of my 300ultramags I often fired in excess of 20 rounds at a session with no ill effects.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's far more serious recoiling guns than the .300 RUM and people manage to shoot them. There are folks shooting fine groups with things like a .416 Rem mag....OUCH!!!!

My personal limit on recoil is the .375 H&H and I see the .300 RUM has about the same muzzle energy as the old .375 H&H.....which suggests that it's as much as I'd want to try to shoot.

Anyone can hold a cannon to his shoulder and jerk the trigger.....and that will cause one to miss a moose at ten yards!!!

Shooting is sighting a target and squeezing.....you know....and recoil shyness can prevent that from happening. It can be solved by practicing the same as any sport.

Get a crate of grapefruit and find a gravel pit and have a ball with the gun. A good trigger pull becomes important here too. It's not the recoil that will get you....it's the FEAR of the recoil.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am speaking only for myself here. YES for me the recoil is to much. This is true even of a 300 Win mag. I have had many Magnum rifles including a 416 Rem Mag. When I needed to, I could shoot them well. However shooting at a game animal and a few shots to keep it zeroed in well is one thing. I can handle that if need be. I would not however enjoy shooting them and would not shoot them just as a shooting hobby as I once did. Someone said its in your head, Well for me its in my shoulder, those Damn things HURT and its not my head that they hurt. I have also in my older years finally grasp the truth and that is to me that there is really no use in most cases for the extra boom, noise and pain. A rifle in the 25-06, 270, 280 and 30-06 with the good bullets and powder we have now is all the gun needed for any North American game. For deer and pronghorns and even Elk, there are even smaller rifles that will do the job as well. Rifles like the 257 Roberts, 260 Rem. 7MM-08. 6.5 x55 and 757 Mauser and for sure the 308, 358 and 8MM mausers have will continue to take all North American game. If I were to hunt the big bears again I would pick up another 416 Rem or 375 H&H and feel secure hunting with them but I would shoot them only when I had to. When hunting other big game in Grizzly country My first choice of a gun for protection would be the Remington pump loaded with five 220 grain Nosler Partitions in 30-06. At self defense ranges If that won't stop a critter then nothing else would either. The first Big game guide I ever hunted with used that combo and he could put five shots on the X mark in a little over five seconds. My second choice would be a good pump slug shotgun. Well I got off the subject, Sorry about that. Vapodog hit the nail on the head. For me if I really need that kind of power I would use it but if I can't enjoy the pain, Forget it.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

i like that quote, if you have to ask.....Not bad..

I have been shooting 3" magnum slugs in my shotgun and that has kick. I doubt a 300 RUM will have that kind of kick. What will you be using this gun for is the real question. if the gun fits the application, then have at it.

Some people think the 30.06 has a hard recoil, i don't however, very manageable.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

The question I would ask to myself if I were to buy an ultra mag a or other large case cartridges is what would I be hunting with it.

If the answer is whitetails, pronghorns, sheep or goats or other small big game then the answer would be heck yes it would be way too much to put up with. What would be the point other than just to brag to buddies about shooting an ultra mag.

If I were going to be hunting elk and moose at long range, 400+ yards, and the big bears where heavy (180 grain+) bullets are needed then I would not mind puting up with the recoil. In this scenario the recoil would be much more justifiable than with shooting a 200+/- pound whitetail.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Whe I decided I wanted one of the new RUM rounds I tried all three. The 7mm RUM, the 300 Rum, And the 338 Rum. All three had alot of kick to them. But not enough to change my mind anout owning one. I settled with the 338 Ultra . Granted I did add a KDF Brake to it and a Limb Saver recoil pad. and that softened it up a bit. But it does still kick. I will tell you this though , I am happy with my choice. I have recently gone on a Oryx hunt in Texas, and my bull didnt go anywhere but strait down.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

When firing my buddy's .300 RUM, it did not seem as bad as my .308 Norma (180 grain @ 3150 FPS). But the Norma has a Neidner steel buttplate, and the RUM has a recoil pad....
Old 01-15-2004, 08:21 AM

The application is for Elk and Moose.

Well I bought one. I will pick it up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Too Much??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.