Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Yahoo, hit the range... bulls eye >

Yahoo, hit the range... bulls eye

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Yahoo, hit the range... bulls eye

Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Yahoo, hit the range... bulls eye

I went to the range last evening, around 6 pm with a friend who just picked up his CVA Optima Pro and we started shooting. I was basicaly there to help him sight in his new toy and resight in my ML's.

He is shooting Triple 7 pellets, 100 grains, with the 348 power belts. He is going to move to the 295 PB Aero tips like I have. Anyway, after about 10 shots, he was almost hitting bulls eye at 50 yards.

I was shooting my 50 cal CVA Firebolt inline, with scope, Triple 7 loose, 85 grains, with 295 PB Aero tips. I was hitting the target at 100 yards, but not bulls eye. Bullets danced all around the center. Took about 6 shoots, hitting the target nicely, moved the scope a little but need to do more. I may adjust the loose grain to find it's sweet zone. I was previously shooting T7 pellets 100 grains, TC Shockwave. Last year they broke my loader so I switched back to the PB. I use my thumb to load the PB.

I had also brought my 50 cal Traditions Deerhunter flint. I was also shooting at one of those targets of a deer with lungs, heart, liver, and the first shot with the flint, open sights, at 100 yards I hit the liver. Last year, I was shooting a little right and didn't have a chance to correct that. So I adjusted my rear sight, and took another shoot. Hit the bulls eye, the second shot, at 100 yards, with the flint. WOW, I didn't even get a bulls eye with the inline with the scope on. So I was done but will need to see if I'm grouping nicely with the flint.

I just wanted to share with you guys my fun last night. I get so excited when I do better with the flint than the inline.

Tom
Old 08-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yahoo, hit the range... bulls eye

Hi Tom,
Nice to see someone is having fun. I'm having a heck of a time getting to the range. Always something else "more pressing". Nice shooting with the flint. Gotta love the powerbelts huh? I've only shot a ML once ya know, but I see no reason to torture myself trying to stuff those sabots down the tube, no thanks. Thanks to your advice on the Powerbelts a thumb is all I need to start 'em. Anyway, good to hear your having fun and when I get out again I hope to have something to brag about on here. Shoot some more and let us know how the groups are coming.