Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spike Bulls Only! >

Spike Bulls Only!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spike Bulls Only!

Old 08-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Spike Bulls Only!

We are hunting an area that this year allows Spikes Only unless you draw a permit for a bull which we didn't.

In all my years of hunting Elk I have NEVER had to focus on spikes . . . they would show up at some of the worst of times . . . and usually when you least expected or wanted them.

I'm interested in theories that other bow hunters might have on hunting Spikes Only.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spike Bulls Only!

thats wierd most places want you to shoot the older animals but hey an elks an elk
Old 08-23-2004, 09:57 PM

thats a bummer i hope you only see spikes. i would concentrate on finding the cows and calfs thats where the spikes will be unless the herd bull is there during the rut . then the spikes will be taging along with the herd and will be dumb as $%%^ find the cows and calfs and good luck your going to need it thats a tough hunt.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will never understand the thinking of the game management officials in Washington state. That rule goes against every single game management plan I have ever heard of.

If you shoot the young bulls and never let them grow up you will never have a sustainable, healthy population of mature bulls to breed, much less hunt.

In Colorado you must shoot a bull with a minimum of 4 points on at least one antler or the bull must have at least a 5 inch brow tine. There are a few game management units that allow the taking of less than four point bulls but they certainly do not restrict you to spikes.

Washington state must have their heads up their butts too far to see the harm they are doing to their heards. It just doesn't make any sence.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:16 PM

My uncle hunts in oregon and almost every year his group draws spike tags. They put in for reg. any bull, but barely ever has that happend. Almost always goes to their 2nd choice of spike only.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:30 AM

Tell ya what would happen if thats what my hunt would be. I would see nothing but 6 pt + bulls all season and no spikes. LOL Just had to put that in I accually got my first elk last year a Cow. But in Oregon bow hunting is any elk except calfs.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls here in Idaho we have had certain spike only hunts/units for the last 13 years. When the IDF&G suggested it everyone including myself thought along the same lines as you. But the we were wrong and it turns out that hardly any hunters choose those units for hunting and very few elk were killed. As a result those units are now some of the very best elk units in Idaho. They have a draw for any bull any weapon, but still spike only for general season. In archery up to a few years ago you could only shoot a cow or spike in those units. But now they have revised it so it's open to any elk with a bow. I have hunted one of those units for a long time now. To be honest thats how I learned to call elk. There was no pressure, if I screwed up calling in a big bull no big deal because I couldn't shoot him anyway. It was all for fun and to practice and learn. Then towards the end of my hunt I would get serious and shoot a spike with my bow.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

While I'm not wild about the spike-only setup, it can be appropriate in heavily hunted poplulations where bull:cow ratios are terribly skewed. I lived in Seattle for a few years, and while I didn't hunt then, I backpacked all summer and fall. My specific reason for being out there was to watch elk. Consequently in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, where they have a spikes-only regulation, there are some monster bulls to be found.

Compared to a brow-tine bull only regulation, you will get more 2-year-old or older bulls with the brow tine regulation. But where 5-year-old or older bulls are concerned, you'll actually tend to get more of those with a spike-only regulation.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Yes it is stupid....................but it makes perfect sense coming from this state, go figure. I'll be hunting in 3pt min.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

I agreed. It is stupid. But I usually hunt for meat, so I hunt in a spike or antlerless unit. I manage to get a spike and a bull (special permit) in the same unit. I haven't got any cow yet.