Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex Misfires

Old 07-12-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Pyrodex Misfires

My buddy hunts with a Cabela's Hawken Hunter, and had bad luck with ignition last season. It shot great at the range, but in the field it misfired every time a deer jumped up. The cap would fire, but not the charge. A second cap wold fire the charge, then a reload (loose Pyrodex - required in Colorado), hunt a few hours, get another chance, misfire, the second cap sets it off, etc, all day long.
The weather was about 50-60 degrees and clear, maybe 40% humidity. Any Ideas?
Dr. Mike
Old 07-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex Misfires

It may be that the cap was comeing off the nipple a little . There are plastic tubes to seal the cap to the nipple . they are for waterproofing the nipple but it also stops slipoff. Also you can try a musket cap&nipple or 209 primer both are a lot hoter if leagal and possible.

NRA Life
DU
Pheasants Forever
Old 07-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Then I would question a few things... What are his loading procedures? Is your friend making sure the barrel is oil free and dry before loading? In a case like what he is experiencing, I would hunt on a fowled barrel. Have his drop 20-30 grains in the barrel and a wad on that. Then fire it off. Now reload. This way he knows the gun is dry, the nipple is sparking well and the gun will go off. Also make sure he pops three caps through the nipple before loading to make sure the fire is getting into the breech. This can be checked by putting a cleaning patch on the jag and push that into the breech and pop some caps. Then examine the patch and make sure it has burn marks on it which indicate that the fire is getting into the breech channel.

The other thing I would do in his case is change over to a stainless steel Hot Shot nipple if he has not done so. They seem to produce much more spark into the breech. In fact if musket caps are legal in your state it would not hurt to have him change over to a musket nipple if one is made that will fit his rifle. Thunder Ridge carries the musket nipple that fit most sidelocks.

Also make sure he is picking the nipple before capping the rifle. If he is not taking measures to weather proof the rifle then he should do that also. Another thing I do is when hunting I change the caps over ever three hours.

Be sure and follow climate control of the rifle at all times. Don't bring the loaded rifle in from the cold into a warm house or car where it can condense moisture in the barrel and contaminate the charge.....
Old 07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's also a chance your buddy left the nipple hole open during his stay in the woods. When you walk around, you should put a plastic car tire air valve cap over the nipple & close the hammer. While seated, place a live cap on the nipple & leave the rifle at half-cock.

Always remove the nipple before getting up from your seat or when tiredness occurs. Never have a capped rifle standing against anything nearby.

Also, make sure the powder gets down in the nipple area when loading the powder. Also check for a worn or mis-shaped nipple head & make sure your powder is dry. There is a slight chance his lock assembly and or trigger assembly is worn. Check for wood shreds & shiny, silvery, worn spots that would normally be black.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 PM

Did He Put The Pellets In Right?
Theres A Certain Way They Go Shinny Side Up I Think
Dull Side Down
Old 07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outdoor338 never mentioned pellets Turkeyhunter_15.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming that when the gun did go off, it went off properly, meaning that the powder itself was not bad, the gun was dirty. There was fouling, crud, or who knows what in there somewhere. Fouling actually sucks moisture out of the air. If you leave your gun dirty while hunting you are asking for trouble. I have not seen a problem arise in just a few hours though.

I hunt with a clean, dry barrel/breech/nipple. No fowling, oils, lubes - nothing.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 AM

From my experience all of the above advise is very sound I would suspect that your caps are not fitting perfectly on your nipple. The first blow seats it on the the cap anvil and the second blow detonates it. Simply chuck your nipple in a drill and turn down the nipple until it will properly seat the cap fully on its anvil.........hope this helps