Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KRB misfires?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default KRB misfires?

Anyone else experienced misfires with a KRB? About the 3rd time I took it out, I starting having misfires where the 209 primer did not go off. Usually, if I simply cock it and pull the trigger again, it would go off. When I looked at the primer, it definately had a smaller dent in it than one that went off. Also, this has happened on two different boxes of winchester 777 primers, so I don't think it is the primers.

When I get done shooting, I remove the trigger assembly and first clean it with a toothbrush and butches bore shine, then water, then dry it and spray it with Rem Oil with teflon. Am I doing something wrong or do you think I may have a defective trigger?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KRB misfires?

I had a couple the other day shooting mine. I had shot it about 20 times. I pull the trigger assembly out and back the breech plug out and back in after every 5th shot. I feel my problems was from the crud around the primer seating area. After I had a misfire I looked it over real good and noticed after I had dropped the primer in and closed the breech it didn't seat as well as it should have and I think it was not allowing the firing pin to contact the primer fully. I pulled the trigger assembly out and gave it a blast of Remington shotgun cleaner. That stuff is great, it dries in seconds. Then I gave the assembly a shot of rem oil in a spray can, shook it off, and started shooting again. No problems after that. Those Remington Kleen Bore primers I think have a lot of what I heard guys talk about "blow back"

Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had trouble with mine til I took the little thumb stud out of the hammer. I think momentum from the extra weight of the thumb stud was causing the hammer to pivot into "safe" mode as the hammerfell forward. I haven't had a single misfire since I removed it.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Spike

I will have to check for crud build up.

Wingbone, I don't use the hammer extensions.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

TX I dont know if you remember but I posted about the same exact problem. I had mine for a week and it started doing the same thing. I called Knight and they had me send the gun back in. They said they would compensate me for shipping with extra bullets. They did not send any bullets back but they did replace the rifle with a brand new one and never told me what was wrong with the first one. Other than the shipping costs they were real good to work with. I would definetely call them first and see what they suggest.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Spike

TXHunter58,

Don't be too quick to rule out the T7 primers. I had some miss-fires with my KRB the first 2 sessions. At first I thought my wet patches were TOOO wet and that was the problem. Second session I made sure I only used damp patches and I still had miss-fires; so I switched to CCI primers and no further problems. Just finnished my 3rd range session today without any problems. BTW, No Crud build-up with T7 ffg and the CCI primers. I do Spitpatch between shots and wet & dry patch between groups.
Godd luck!
James
Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I contacted Knight about it, we will see what they say.

As far as it being the primers, I guess I can't rule that out completely, but the ones that don't go off have a dent in them from the firing pin that barely shows up. Not like the one you see after a normal firing. That is why I think there is something in the tigger assembly responsible.

I will say this, I have not had one right after cleaning the rifle. It seems to only occur about 10-15 shots into the session.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contacted Knight and they told me just to send the trigger assembly in for them to check out.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

This seems to be an ongoing problem with the KRBs. I really hate to see this as I have not even had time to shoot mine yet and now worry that by the time I get around to it I may have to send stuff back to Knight. Sure wish Knight would have checked out the design before releasing it to the customers.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the KRB, and while I haven't shot it nearly as much as I would like to, I also haven't had any problems with it misfiring, or any other problems yet. I use Federal 209 primers and they seem to work great, whereas I've heard quite a few complaints about both the Kleenbore and 777 primers.

Quick Reply: KRB misfires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.