Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak

Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 PM

Default CVA Kodiak

Anybody have any comments about the CVA Kodiak. I'm thinking of picking one up. I was looking at the staghorn but, I think they are being discontinued, Cabelas had them in last fall catalog for $99 but, I they don't list it anymore. This would be for a beginer M/L & used mainly for hunting. Thanks
MB
Old 06-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Kodiak

Yes the Staghorn has been discontinued and replaced with the Buckhorn I believe it is called. It is nothing more then a Staghorn with a different stock.

If you want a quality rifle at a low price, and want to shoot sabots, check out the Knight Wolverine II LK-93 for $129.95. They were selling them at Natchez.Com. I have one and it is a great shooting rifle. All the rifle you would ever need.

I also have a Staghorn and it too is an excellent shooting rifle. As for the Kodiak I am sure it is a good gun, but being the first year out with them I would wait a year and see what bugs they have and what is worked out....
Old 06-30-2004, 05:23 PM

Default RE: CVA Kodiak

Chefmark, I own a CVA muzzleloader, it's a Magbolt. It's sold through BassPro. Anyhow, if your going to buy a ML, I would highly recommened shooting POWERBELTS!! I have been shooting for many years, and have found the PB's to be the best. You don't have plastic fouling in the barrel, and the bullet is very ,very accurate. Every bullet I have shot at big game, has done the damage. A word of advice, get yourself a good scope. Don't buy a cheap scope, or a scope that is for muzzleloders. Buy a good to excellent rifle scope. I bought a scope for muzzleloaders, and it couldn't hold zero. Anyway, good luck!!

PS: Also use Triple 7 powder. Easy to clean, consistant pattern!!!!!