Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Coyote Gun

Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Coyote Gun

After a 20+ year absence from blackpowder shooting I'd like to get back into it starting with something for controlling the coyotes sneaking in around the farm. My shots wouldn't be more than 100 yards out or so and would appreciate your recommendations for a make, model and load of an approporiate gun.

The only gun I've got my eye on at the moment is the Thompson Center Renegade Hunter because I like the sporter size and adjustable site but I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Thanks-
Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Coyote Gun

If your looking at sidelocks, then the Renegade would be a good choice. It will shoot to 100 yards without problem. Instead, look into the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber with 1:60 twist. I think if you are wanting to shoot roundball, this would be a much better choice. You can also get some nice peep sights for the Lyman which make it a very accurate choice at 100 yards.

If inlines are in your future, they are selling a T/C Black Diamond XR for under $200.00 at Bass Pro Shop. Load this with 110 grain of FFg and a T/C Shockwave and you can knock a yote out a lot futher then 100 yards.

Knight is having some great sales on Wolveines right now, and they are also great shooters. A 240 grain Knight Sabot and 100 grains of FFg and you have dead dog.

Good luck in your search for the right gun.....