Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finnally fired the new muzzle loader >

Finnally fired the new muzzle loader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finnally fired the new muzzle loader

Old 06-05-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Finnally fired the new muzzle loader

Well I got to shoot my muzzle loader for the first time yesterday. I found out that it is not in fact a Buckhorn model but rather an Eclipse 209 Magnum as it was printed very small on the outside of the barrel. Learn something new everyday. It seemed to kick alot more than my friends .45 cal ML. I was shooting 2 50 grain pellets of pyrodex with 250 grain Barnes expanders. It shot rather well although it's not quite sighted in as I ran out of powder. Just can't wait to pop a deer or two this fall.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Finnally fired the new muzzle loader

The Eclipse 209 Magnum was the next step above the Staghorn, so you REALLY got a good deal on your rifle. I was shooting some Nosler 300 grain bullets that I bought on sale through Natchez and they were really holding tight groups with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS out of the Staghorn. My Staghorn does not like 100 grains. 90 is the magic number in it, but that is all the power it needs.

As for recoil that will be determined by the weight of the projectile and the amount of powder you use besides the balance of the gun. As you get used to the the rifle the recoil part will go away I think. I was shooting 110 grains of FFg out of my short barrel Knight Wolverine and I really did not think the recoil was bad at all.

I always shoot loose powder because I can tweek the loads a little better then if I was locked into shooting pellets. Plus the cost difference would send me to the loose powder section anyway. Lately I have been using Swiss and Goex powders. I really like the Swiss Black Powder.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:58 PM

Well I decided pyrodex pellets were too expensive also when I figured that 1 pound of pyrodex powder=6999.5grains and that equals approximately 70 shots for the same price as it would be for the pellets and they only get you 50 shots. So I just blew $90 on Pyrodex powder, more barnes rounds, funnel cap, patches, cleaning kit, powder measure, and a sling and mounts. Thank the lord for graduation party money lol. We'll give her a go with the powder and see what happens. Oh I forgot to mention with the few shots that we took Friday we had it grouping 2 1/2 inches with three shot groups at 100 yards thats just bracing it off of a tree or a bag on the hood of the jeep.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW... that is some nice shooting there. Sounds like you really have a good shooting rifle on your hands. And I think you made a wise choice going to the loose powder over the pellets. That of course is my personal opinion.

I have never shot the Barnes although I think when I shoot a Knight Sabot it is really a Barnes. I am not sure. The Knight Sabots in my Wolverine are really accurate.

Enjoy your new rifle. Sounds like you have a great shooting combination there. The deer I am sure are not going to be real thrilled that you have that rifle, but the first deer you take with a smoke pole will be one remembered the rest of your life.

By the way- be sure and have a little cash set aside at the end of the hunting season. That is when a lot of the stores like Wal Mart will put their Pyrodex on SUPER SALE!! Last year after hunting season I was getting it for as little as $8.00 a pound. We normally were paying $16.00 so needless to say I stocked up. Trouble was I was shooting hard and heavy all winter and shot it all off...[]