Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hornady Rifle bullet? >

Hornady Rifle bullet?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady Rifle bullet?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hornady Rifle bullet?

Was browsing through Cabelas reloading merchandise on the web and noticed a .45 cal, hollow point rifle bullet, 300 grains. Could this be saboted and shot safely in a .50 cal ML? Would there be any advantage, even if it worked? Seems like the ballistics would be good, maybe better than a handgun slug.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hornady Rifle bullet?

before you can sabot it, you need to know the diameter of it so you can put the proper sabot on it. I do not see why it would not work. I would think you would be just as well off getting the same bullet or like it in a conical but in the .50 caliber range. It might not be as fast but the down range energy would be greater, hence more knock down and punch through power. Besides a 1/2 hole through any thing vital has to hurt.

One other point is many rifle bullets are high in BHN and they do not expand the best at the low speeds that muzzleloaders push them. They work best if you can get them in a 5 BHN or that area. Those are pure lead and will expand much better.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady Rifle bullet?

I picked up a pack of the Hornady 50 caliber sabots with the 45 caliber 245 gr bullets. The black high speed sabots are what came in the package. I have not shot any yet although the load data that Hornady provides says that with 3 50 gr pyrodex pellets it produces 2245 fps, that is 45-70 performance my friend. Then comes the question of accuracy.