Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Possibles Bag Help >

Possibles Bag Help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Possibles Bag Help

Old 01-04-2002, 04:51 PM

Default Possibles Bag Help

I have one, and I need help setting it up. It has the back and a small pocket. How does everything go? Do I need a bullet bag? Where does my capper go? Pictures would help alot. Thanks.

Dustin
Old 01-04-2002, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Possibles Bag Help

My possibles bag has two loops on the ends; this is where I put my short starter and powder measure. The small pouch in the back holds a small Sucrets tin with all the attachments for the ramrod (worm, ball puller, brush, cleaning jag) and a nipple wrench and wedge pin puller. My capper is attached to a leather thong that is tied to the strap....it just sits in the bag until needed, then is pulled out. I keep my balls in a ball bag, and bullets in a wooden box I made myself from a piece of 2x2 scrap. Since I am a bit of a traditionalist, I have decorated the bag with indian beadwork and feathers. I have also done some scrimshaw on my powder horn. I keep my powder (premeasured) in some glass vials capped with a cork, and patches go in the patch box on the rifle and a round candy tin (In the possibles bag).Good luck, keep yer powder dry, and watch yer topknot!
Old 01-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-05-2002, 08:41 AM

Coondog makes a good point. When I started I thought I should be prepared for just about everything, I was so loaded down that I'm amazed that I ever got a shot off. For hunting the less the better, and your gun will be a lot more reliable than you think.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-05-2002, 11:27 AM

Mr. 16 gauge,
What do you mean when there are loops on the end of your possibles bag?
Old 01-05-2002, 05:48 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you...on the inside of the bag, on the edges, there are two loops, like cartridge shell holder loops. One is for the powder measure and the other is for the short starter.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:23 AM
Spike

Don't turn your nose up ant the possibles bas offered by the catalogues. Got mine off Mountain State Mussleloading, in cammo pattern. My pin-on compass goes on the strap, as do the speedloaders. Small pockets on the back hold the cap tin, the pin puller, the decapper/pic tool and the capper. The short start and the pan charger go in the loops. A small bottle of lube, patches, a small bottle of solvent, the powder measure all go in the bottom. Spare powder and balls or conicals or other extraneous stuff goes in the pack. Get to the point you can recognize and get anything quickly by feel, and you're there!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:18 PM

I use a small fanny pack I bought on clearance at the local Gander Mountain store. Has two compartments and holds everything I need. Cost me $5.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:26 PM

I also use a small fanny pack to carry when hunting. I carry a powder measure and small flask, bullets, primers and knight speed loaders. The reason I say knight is they can be used to help push the ram rod in if needed. I carry a possible bag in the truck with me in case something drastic happens and I need to disassemble the gun for some reason. I started out carring everything and then narrowed it down to only what is needed while hunting.

" I do not hunt to kill,but rather kill to have hunted"(as quoted by the Spanish philosopher Gasset)