Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 can i use these with my rifle >

can i use these with my rifle

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

can i use these with my rifle

Old 12-16-2003, 06:19 PM

Default can i use these with my rifle

i have a lyman great plains rifle with a 1 and 66 twist, can i use maxi balls or sabots opposed to the round balls
Old 12-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: can i use these with my rifle

i dont think it can hurt.....the slower twist just usually isnt enough to stabalize such a long bullet quick enough....but they may work.....im pretty sure you can shoot them safely.....accuracy will be somehting neat to see....it may or maynot shoot them nicely.....if you have them laying around its worth a try.....
Old 12-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: can i use these with my rifle

The 1-66 twist being so slow will have a hard time with most conicals. The barrel is best known for its ability to shoot round ball. There is nothing wrong with round ball. They have taken deer for many years and will for many more to come. I would stay away from the sabots. You would not stablilize them fast enough and I think your accuracy would suffer. Not that you could not shoot them, because you can. You can try them and see what happens. If you want to shoot conicals, I would try the conicals made by http://www.prbullet.com/ Precision Rifle Company. They are the makers of Dead Center sabots. They also make conicals specifically designed for the 1-66 twist and 1-60 twist. If their conicals in that twist shoot anything like their conicals made for the 1-48 twist, you will not be disappointed. They are also well known for their sabots in the faster 1-28 twist rifles.