Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How do I unload this thing? >

How do I unload this thing?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do I unload this thing?

Old 12-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do I unload this thing?

Getting the 'new' Knight LK 93 set up. I'll be using Pyro 100 and Powerbelt bullets. Staying with my 'safety first' approach, could I ask you guys to run through the unloading procedures, other than firing it. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do I unload this thing?

To fire it IMO is the safest and best way.

Other than that. Remove primer (musket cap, etc)
Remove bolt. Use nipple wrench to remove breach plug and remove powder.
Push bullet through with rod.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:11 AM

I believe the instructions with my ML stated that you should not unscrew the breech plug, unless you had soaked the rifle in water to keep the gun powder from exploding because friction with the breech plug ignited it.

Just shoot the damn thing, and clean it. If it's been dry, and you are going hunting the next day, keep it in the cold, remove the primer and leave the powder and bullet in.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:29 PM

If you're something like me, now's the time to put that last load into a target. Just to see if that thing is hitting where you think it should. LOL

Russ
Old 12-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I really have to agree with the other posters. If it were me (and next year it might be), I would just pick a spot (safe) and see if the gun is hitting where it should be. Granted you could take the time to remove the breech plug, then what. You have pellets that are not really "hunting quality because they have been seated," and you have a bullet that might have some rifling marks so it is not "hunting quality" so unless you are in a situation where discharging it is out of the question, or you really can not store it somewhere for tomorrows hunt, you have the choice of shooting it off and then cleaning it, or taking it somewhere, pulling it apart and then pushing everything out through the breech, and then cleaning it. To beon the safe side, you really should drown the charge. Then you have a real mess. I always shoot them off..... good luck with your rifle...
Old 12-14-2003, 12:29 AM

I would also agree firing the gun works best...but if i didnt make that last hunt before the end of the season i just take my primer cap off and wait for good weather to go the range and blow it off...i use that triple 7 (supposed to be non-corosive) so not too much to worry about as long as the guns in a safe place. Also have a cap and ball that stayed loaded (caps removed of course) for like 6 or seven years with out being unloaded ....fired it last summer (2002) fired like i just loaded it and didnt harm the gun in anyway.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

(supposed to be non-corosive
No, it isn't supposed to be NON-corrosive. It is corrosive.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:37 AM

I have a CVA and use pellets. I just remove the breech plug and the pellets fall out. They go right back into the storage tube for next time, same with the powerbelt. Have not had any problems so long as barrel was dry. Or, just shoot it.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

i shoot mine......i have a flinter...if its the end of the day and im done hunting i fire it somewhere safe.....like into a soft hillside or something......
Old 12-14-2003, 09:21 AM

here in ms.you have to take the primer off each time you get within 100' of a public road.my experience has been,once the cap is removed moisture can get between the nipple and charge so i just shoot mine when i get ready to go and run a patch down the barrel when i get home,pop a cap to dry the nipple then reload when i get out of my truck or at my stand when i start to hunt the next day.if i did not have to take the primer off,i would leave the gun charged and both safeties on until i shot a deer.as long as the nipple is intact and water doesn't get in the barrel,i don't think you would have a problem.i doubt that many states allow the gun to be left loaded in the auto.