Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
When/how to unload? >

When/how to unload?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When/how to unload?

Old 12-26-2002, 10:25 AM

Default When/how to unload?

The ML season in SC usually sees days in the 80s and humid. If I hunt consecutive days with no rain, should I unload/relaod each day? If yes, is removing the breech plug and pushing the sabot and powder charge (T7 & PR Dead Center) out the breech end OK? Should I use a new sabot or can I reuse?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When/how to unload?

I have a hawkens ml, just got a Co2 Load Discharger (cabelas FC-21-4461). You just put the adapter over the nipple and blow out the power and ball. I'm fairly sure that they have an adapter for any type of ml you may have. Not sure about how long the powder will be good for under your conditions.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:25 AM

Default RE: When/how to unload?

I hunt in upstate NY it's almost always raining or snowing, I leave my shot in for a week at a time. The best thing to do is make sure it is dry where you store the gun. You can push the shot out the breech, but remember that your action is going to get dirty when you do this, and will need to be cleaned. Yes you can reuse the sabot as long as it is not damaged I've even used sabots that have been fired.