Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hollow point sabots >

Hollow point sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hollow point sabots

Old 12-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hollow point sabots

Thanks for the info lonewolf. I will have to go and look at the different projectiles you mentioned.

I really believe in the pass through with the projectile. I was hunting deer this year with roundball and never got a pass through. Although they did not run far after being hit, they did run. Where I hunt, if there is no snow on the ground and little or no blood to follow, that is a real bad situation.

I think this Knight Rifle with a good scope will be just the ticket to making the afternoon early evening hunts a little better. I don't think I will ever hang up the sidelocks for good, but it is time to try something new....
Old 12-13-2003, 09:06 AM

cayugad I have a question for you on the cva form under R.E.A.L. CONICAL NEED YOUR PRO OR CON'S
Old 12-13-2003, 09:40 AM

Cay,

I just recently purchased the Wolverine with 22 inch SS barrel and synthetic stock. This is my first experience with muzzleloading. I started out using 60 grains and moved up to 80 grains which was shooting my Dead Center's made by Preciscion Bullet pretty much dead center at 100 yards. I would then fire a Powerbelt for ease of loading, trying to simulate actual hunting possibilities at the range which loaded with ease in a dirty barrel.

I was also shooting the TC Mag Sabots in 240 grain XTP's, I could still load the TC and Dead Center's after shooting a couple of shots but it was becoming tough. I occasionally wiped down the barrel with TC #13 pre coated patches. Usually after 2 or 3 shots, sometimes needing two patches, followed by a dry patch or two.

I was quite happy with the accuracy with all three bullets at 100 yards with the 777.

I would've liked to been able to purchase and Omega, but for the price of the Wolverine with a scope of $259, I had enough money to purchse all the other supplies I needed for less then an Omega (with syn stock/SS barrel) would've cost without a scope.

Happy Hunting
Old 12-13-2003, 11:58 AM

I don't think the copper bullets expand much when they come out the barrel. The barnes are an all copper bullet that is treated to make it hold it's shape well. Like I said, it has 100percent weight retention up to about 2100fps as i understand. I don't really think there would be a great advantage with going up to 150 grains of pyrodex. I just use Goex powder out of my sidelock, so I don't really know a really good breech plug lubricant. sorry that I can't help you with that part, but i like to go a little traditional. Don't get me wrong though, I will switch to an in-line someday. they seem to be a lot more dependable. Hope that I helped you.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Pauly so you ended up shooting 80 grains of loose T-7 and those dead center (what caliber and grain were they?) and the T/C cheapshot? I also bought some Hornady XTP 300 grain in .45 caliber. I am going to order some Precision 300 grain silver lightening green tip in .45 caliber and get some Harvester Black high pressure sabots to shoot them out of. That should give me some stuff to play with.

I really trust the advise of certain people on these boards, and when they suggest a load I want to give them a try. Too much good advise on these in-lines to have a sidelock pounder like me ignore.

I have not decided on which scope I want yet other then the magnification. 1.5 X 4 power should be enough although I have a Tasco World Class 3X9 by 40 mm sitting here in the gun rack that is not being used. I used to have it on my 7mm mag, so I am sure it would take the recoil of the Knight.

Today I even went out in the back yard and just for fun tried the T/C cheapshots .44 cal 240 grain out of the Traditions Hawkins. On a different board they were talking about shooting sabots out of old sidelocks, and I wanted to give it a try. They actually shot all right. I think with a little work on the charge I could really bring them in. Although I ended the day with roundballs and left a beautiful cloverleaf dead center in the bullseye with the Hawkins, so maybe I will let the new gun play with the sabots and keep the old ones were they belong.... Thanks for the information
Old 12-14-2003, 07:16 AM

Cay, I was shooting the 300 grain Dead Center's. I purchased them at Cabelas and there packaged as Cabelas Dead Center's with Precision Bullet name on the package also. But I don't see anything on the package indicating if there .44 or .45.

I'm still going to work on the loads as this is my first season with a ML. Looking forward to get some more shooting in after the holidays when I have more time to work on things at the range.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bob1961

i shot a doe in ny with a T/C cheapshot 240 gr sabot hp....and it knocked the hell out of her....had a doe in early seaon muzzleloader in pa hit with a patched round ball at 35 yds with a heart shot and she still ran 80 yds....with the exit hole the same size as the entry hole....that's my exp............bob
In my experience, soft lead round balls tend to make bigger entrance holes than exit holes. With my .50, shooting a 180 grain RB around 1800 FPS MV, the entrance hole is often the size of a pingpong ball or a baseball, and the exit hole is only the size of a quarter! I suspect the soft lead ball "splatters out" on impact, and the denser center of the ball carries through....
Old 12-14-2003, 09:09 AM

i shoot a knight lk-93 .50 cal and use the rem 275gr.hp sabot.all deer i have shot,the bullet went through and the deer went less than 30 yards.i have not tryed anything else but do not see any reason to so far.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:44 PM

Speaking of the effectiveness of .50 round balls... couple years ago I hit a doe head on at about 8 yards, she dropped on the spot, not thrashing around or anything. She had come running up out of ravine and we met head on, I aimed center chest, a snap shot really, and fired. I like to recover the round ball when possible, so during butchering I followed the wound path and ended up finding the round ball embedded in the interior of the spinal column. The round ball hit her dead center from head on and travelled into the spinal column causing instant and complete paralysis. Now that was a "dead center" shot.