Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST

Old 09-25-2022, 05:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Hornady SST

Anybody using the new SST.?

Looking for feedback.

Thanks
JW

Last edited by JW; 09-25-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
Anybody using the new STS.?

Looking for feedback.

Thanks
JW
Did you mean SST ? Or FTX ? No such thing as a Hornady bullet as STS

So if you meant SST , I use them in all my slug guns , both in 20ga and 12ga . Super accurate in every rifled barrel slug gun I own .

Never tried the FTX or SST's Muzzle Loader projectiles , but they look interesting . The FTX is made on almost the same design as Powerbelts with the Aerotip . Now I used to use the Powerbelt Aerotip . Very accurate in my 2 TC Encores . But I fount they dont expand very well if they dont hit bone . So now I use the Powerbelt hollow points , and they do their job very well .. The hollow points expand like they should with a nice exit hole and a plenty big wound channel . Didn't even have to do any resighting in when I switched . They fly identical to the aerotips.

I have used the Hornady 50cal 240gr XTP's . They are brutal on a deer. An exceptional wound channel with major knock down power. Some exit holes were the size of a silver dollar . Deadly accurate too I might add . I can keep 3 shots in a bulls eye the size of a quarter at 100 yards . The only reason I dont use them is it takes longer to reload . But they are superior to the powerbelts in wound channel . Accuracy is just slightly better than the powerbelt . But Im talking 3 shots the size of a quarter for the XTP and 3 shot inside a 2 inch bulls eye for the power belt . But I can reload the power belt more than twice as fast as the XTP because of the sabot sleeve .

If you are using BH209 with magnum primers , dont bother using power belts . The fast ignition blows past around the bullet . I use the pyrodex pellets and they work like a charm with both the power belts and the XTP's . From what I understand you need to use a bullet with a sabot sleeve when using BH209 . It even says that on their manual.

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 09-25-2022 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sorry I typed it wrong. Saw the advertisement on the Outdoor channel.
new hornady bullet with a plastic wad attached and not the Sabot cup.

Found one advertisement of FTX.

AND Thanks foe rhe reply Sportsman!

JW
Old 09-25-2022, 10:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Found the add
If anyone is intetested searh New Bullet Hornady

JW

Last edited by JW; 09-25-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its called a Hornady Bore Driver. They use a real copper alloy jacket unlike the cheap copper plating Powerbelt uses.
https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloadin...-driver-ftx#!/

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-26-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Its called a Hornady Bore Driver. They use a real copper alloy jacket unlike the cheap copper plating Powerbelt uses.
seems like ronlaughlin did some testing on those bullets that suggest they do ok when pushed hard but maybe not open up at long range?
Old 09-27-2022, 12:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/t...ver-ftx.39356/

Low velocity, no expansion. Higher velocity, only about 50% weight retention. I like Federal BOR locks 350 gr lead option better. Opinions vary..

Last edited by txhunter58A; 09-27-2022 at 12:41 PM.