Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Beginning Blackpowder >

Beginning Blackpowder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Beginning Blackpowder

Old 09-27-2022, 03:13 PM
Spike

Default Beginning Blackpowder

I've been using an inline for several years with pretty good success. Now, I have an opportunity to acquire a .50 percussion cap muzzleloader. Trying to gather information on line but a lot of the sites are fragmented and don't do a good job differentiating between inline and percussion cap/flintlock weapons. Can anyone steer me toward some solid information on powder types, percussion caps, ball vs. conical bullets etc. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

-Mike
Old 09-27-2022, 04:03 PM
Spike

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/f...zleloading.15/

This. Lots of info and knowledgeable people there
Old 09-28-2022, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tanker if you're familiar with in line muzzleloaders then a sidelock should be a piece of cake. You can use the same bullets (bullets/sabots) that you use with your in line unless you're shooting a slow twist barrel. I'm assuming its a CVA, Traditions or T/C which would have about a 1:48 twist. Real black powder in FFg (or Swiss 1 1/2) is great. If you can't get it then Pyrodex RS would be a good choice. Your hardest thing to get will be #11 percussion caps.
Enjoy your new purchase.