Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Stumped. Need some help. >

Stumped. Need some help.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stumped. Need some help.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Hi guys, Thanks to another user I met and went shooting with, I found the problem.

First, I needed 90 grains of powder.

Second, I wasn’t using the open sight correctly.

Third and finally, I needed an over powder wad. I was skeptical this would help at first, but it did improve my grouping greatly. I don’t know why.

I am now shooting decent groups at 100 yards. I still need to work on my aim, but at least I’m hitting the target now with every shot, unlike before.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. I will upload pictures of the 10 shot group I got today later.

Jared
Old 07-07-2022, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Here is my 10 shot group today at 100 yards.
Attached Thumbnails Stumped. Need some help.-image_67192833.jpg  
Old 07-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Here is my 10 shot group today at 100 yards.
100 yards with a black powder revolver! Not bad at all seeing as how you just got that gun. The reason the over the powder wad helped your grouping is because the wad keeps the powder in place and helps seal in the gas

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-08-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
100 yards with a black powder revolver! Not bad at all seeing as how you just got that gun. The reason the over the powder wad helped your grouping is because the wad keeps the powder in place and helps seal in the gas.

I apologize, but you misunderstood. This was not with the revolver, this was with the Kentucky rifle I was having problems with.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK Nick now you got your sighting issue solved you can now work on tweaking your load. Change only one thing at a time (patches, lube, wads, etc.) Once you get it just the way your rifle likes it and you're consistent with your aiming and shooting you will easily cut that group in half.
Remember, compression of your charge is also important. Be sure to use the same amount of compression every time. Put a reference mark on your ramrod. If you have acess to a reloading scale weigh each charge and put them in a small tube like a speed loader or other vial. Example, if you are shooting 90 gr by volume, pour 90 gr by volume and weigh it. It may be 80-90 grs, then weight additional charges. Also swab the barrel between shots to keep the fouling consistent.
A lot of little tricks you'll learn along the way.

BTW did you shoot those shots right after each other without letting the barrel cool? If so were the first 4 the low ones and the next 5 high? I'm not counting the 1 way high. If that's the case it could be your barrel was getting too hot and changed your point of impact. Also if that's the case that is very good shooting.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-08-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
I apologize, but you misunderstood. This was not with the revolver, this was with the Kentucky rifle I was having problems with.
Yea I did. No problem.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
OK Nick now you got your sighting issue solved you can now work on tweaking your load. Change only one thing at a time (patches, lube, wads, etc.) Once you get it just the way your rifle likes it and you're consistent with your aiming and shooting you will easily cut that group in half.
Remember, compression of your charge is also important. Be sure to use the same amount of compression every time. Put a reference mark on your ramrod. If you have acess to a reloading scale weigh each charge and put them in a small tube like a speed loader or other vial. Example, if you are shooting 90 gr by volume, pour 90 gr by volume and weigh it. It may be 80-90 grs, then weight additional charges. Also swab the barrel between shots to keep the fouling consistent.
A lot of little tricks you'll learn along the way.

BTW did you shoot those shots right after each other without letting the barrel cool? If so were the first 4 the low ones and the next 5 high? I'm not counting the 1 way high. If that's the case it could be your barrel was getting too hot and changed your point of impact. Also if that's the case that is very good shooting.
You are correct. I did not let the barrel cool. However, the first five shots were very high one, three above the bull’s-eye, and one below. The other five then showed up in those other spots. Only because I was aiming slightly lower to try and hit the bull’s-eye.

Next time I go shooting, I’ll be more consistent with where I aim.

Thanks a bunch, Jared BTW, it looks like now I can use this gun for a general short range deer hunt here. Season starts August 30.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you're shooting for groups don't change your point of aim. Doing so just defeats the purpose of seeing what shoots best. Also, if it were me, I'd shoot at 50 yards to get a clearer sight picture at the target
Old 07-08-2022, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
When you're shooting for groups don't change your point of aim. Doing so just defeats the purpose of seeing what shoots best. Also, if it were me, I'd shoot at 50 yards to get a clearer sight picture at the target
Understood. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll try again later on this week.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Never mind.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 01-26-2023 at 07:30 PM. Reason: I quit the thread.