HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stumped. Need some help.
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 12:45 PM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
OK Nick now you got your sighting issue solved you can now work on tweaking your load. Change only one thing at a time (patches, lube, wads, etc.) Once you get it just the way your rifle likes it and you're consistent with your aiming and shooting you will easily cut that group in half.
Remember, compression of your charge is also important. Be sure to use the same amount of compression every time. Put a reference mark on your ramrod. If you have acess to a reloading scale weigh each charge and put them in a small tube like a speed loader or other vial. Example, if you are shooting 90 gr by volume, pour 90 gr by volume and weigh it. It may be 80-90 grs, then weight additional charges. Also swab the barrel between shots to keep the fouling consistent.
A lot of little tricks you'll learn along the way.

BTW did you shoot those shots right after each other without letting the barrel cool? If so were the first 4 the low ones and the next 5 high? I'm not counting the 1 way high. If that's the case it could be your barrel was getting too hot and changed your point of impact. Also if that's the case that is very good shooting.
You are correct. I did not let the barrel cool. However, the first five shots were very high one, three above the bull’s-eye, and one below. The other five then showed up in those other spots. Only because I was aiming slightly lower to try and hit the bull’s-eye.

Next time I go shooting, I’ll be more consistent with where I aim.

Thanks a bunch, Jared BTW, it looks like now I can use this gun for a general short range deer hunt here. Season starts August 30.