Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Stumped. Need some help. >

Stumped. Need some help.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stumped. Need some help.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
One thing to look out for is how you are shooting the gun from the bench. Full stocked guns can sometimes be touchy on where you rest the forearm. Some prefer towards the muzzle, and some over one of the middle barrel pinnings. As all of my hunting is done from "off hand" and not a bench, I usually hold the forearm with my hand with my elbow on the bench and the gun to my shoulder and not on bags. I have had guns that shot good groups from the bench with the gun rested and in bags, that would shoot to a totally different point of aim when shot off hand. Moving your target closer until you find your best load is good advice. .
First, move your target up to about 30 yards and don’t move it back until you find an accurate load. 100 yards is too far to work up a round ball load
Old 05-21-2022, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, like I said, in my most recent post, I started at 30 this time and worked my way up.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

where are you located (city/state) many times some local guy might be able to help you out,
but if he does not know if your in Calif, Texas ,,Fla, or Alabama, its very unlikely he can offer to help, hands on!
if your near me Id be happy to help, show you a few tips, im in zip 75442 farmersville texas
Old 05-21-2022, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
where are you located (city/state) many times some local guy might be able to help you out,
but if he does not know if your in Calif, Texas ,,Fla, or Alabama, its very unlikely he can offer to help, hands on!
if your near me Id be happy to help, show you a few tips, im in zip 75442 farmersville texas
I actually solved it today. It turns out that I wasn’t loading the gun properly. Patch was not centered on the ball and barrel. I did an experiment today with 90 grains, and I tried centering the patch to the best of my ability. To my surprise, it increased my accuracy.

1” group at 25 yards and 2” group at 100 yards

I think that was it.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you swabbing between shots? My suggestion is to continue shootin at 50 yds max until you get a grasp on what's going on.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:13 PM
Spike

You said you documented everything you did. Did you not clean between each shot?? If not, that could have been an issue.

Guns are different. Yours may not like 70 gr of powder. And I NEVER shoot farther than 30 yards until I find an accurate load. Why shoot at 100 when you are not getting good groups at 30??

I already told you what I would do in my post above. And none of it included shooting 70 gr. You shot quite a bit but you didn’t experiment.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:16 PM
Spike

Double posted

Last edited by txhunter58A; 05-22-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:26 PM
Spike

Your accuracy prob had more to do with shooting 90 gr than the placement of the patch.

Last edited by txhunter58A; 05-22-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by txhunter58A
Your accuracy prob had more to do with shooting 90 gr than the placement of the patch.
Thanks for getting back. To be honest, you’re right. I did document everything I did. Cleaning was not on there, because I didn’t do it.

I’m lazy, but I’ll work on getting into the habit of cleaning between shots.

I actually went out again today, and I didn’t have the same issue. It was windy, though. That threw off my shot a little bit.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

OK, I know I’ve been saying this a lot, but I for sure found the problem this time. I can’t believe it was this simple.

It all roots back to when I first built the gun from the kit. Once I built it, I tried shooting it immediately. However, I failed to align the open sight.

I figured this out, because there was no wind today and I shot a target at 25 yards. All my shots were about 2 inches to the left of the bull’s-eye, even though I was aiming at the bull’s-eye. I adjusted the site appropriately, and had good results at 25 yards, so I went to 100 yards. After four shots at 100 yards, I realized I fixed the problem. Every shot was getting into the kill zone at 25 yards and 100 yards.

I fixed it, and I’m very happy right now. Thank you all for the help and the advice.

Jared

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.