Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Learning to use muzzleloaders. >

Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

You were right. You don’t need a background check for a muzzleloader. The gun arrived in the store today, and I picked it up.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jnicholes
You were right. You don’t need a background check for a muzzleloader. The gun arrived in the store today, and I picked it up.
Congrats on your purchase! If you're like the rest of us, it will be the first of many! They are highly addictive!
Old 03-14-2022, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Congrats on your purchase! If you're like the rest of us, it will be the first of many! They are highly addictive!
Thanks! I’ve heard from many people that they are highly addictive.

I actually got this muzzleloader for two reasons. The first reason is so I could use it for hunting. In order to do this, I need to take the gun to Idaho Fish and Game and have them check to see if it meets the muzzleloader requirements. If it does not meet those requirements, I can use it in a general any weapons hunt, But not a muzzleloader hunt.

Second reason I got it is because I have two friends from Japan who are coming again this summer. Last time they were here, they fired a shotgun for the first time, because they don’t have a right to bear arms in Japan. In fact, one of them shot a clay pigeon in the air on her first try. I was impressed. When they get here, I’m going to show them the muzzleloader.

I am still out shopping, getting groceries and stuff, so I will send you all a picture of the gun when I get home.

Jared
Old 03-14-2022, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the picture!

Jared
Attached Thumbnails Learning to use muzzleloaders.-muzzleloader.jpg  
Old 03-14-2022, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Nice one Jared ! What did they recommend for projectiles ? I know you got loose powder . Pyrodex or real black powder ?
That gun is different than my Thompson Center sidelocks that use number 11 primers and Thompson Center Inlines that use a 209 primers .

My loads for the TC White Mountain Carbines side locks are 90 grains of Pyrodex shooting a 350gr Maxihunter lead conical bullet . Right on the money !
I have 2 of those guns . The other one is a little fussier . It likes 80 grains of Pyrodex and prefers 375gr Maxiball lead conical bullet . So you are going to have to experiment a bit to find what it likes . I have never use a gun that uses musket caps for a primer . You have some strange muzzle loader laws there .
Old 03-14-2022, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the muzzleloader regulations are a little weird, but I need to follow them.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/weapons/muzzleloader

Anyway, Sportsman’s Warehouse recommended conical bullets for accuracy. They said that balls tend to curve when shot.

They were out of black powder, but I am reading the manual now to try to find out what I need.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Yeah, the muzzleloader regulations are a little weird, but I need to follow them.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/weapons/muzzleloader

Anyway, Sportsman’s Warehouse recommended conical bullets for accuracy. They said that balls tend to curve when shot.

They were out of black powder, but I am reading the manual now to try to find out what I need.
I have some powder you can have. It is pyrodex RS whenever you wantbto get together to shoot you can have it. You can also try some of my bullets.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
I have some powder you can have. It is pyrodex RS whenever you wantbto get together to shoot you can have it. You can also try some of my bullets.
Thanks.

I still need to get the cleaning supplies for the gun. From what I understand, you need to clean a muzzleloader after every shot. I could be mistaken, though.

I also need the primer.

That reminds me. I’m trying to figure out if my gun takes 209 primers which are not legal to use in Idaho hunts, or a musket cap which is legal to use in Idaho hunts. Sportsman‘s warehouse website said that it takes musket caps, but I want to be double sure.

How can I tell what it takes?

Jared
Old 03-15-2022, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

If you actually bought the model that you posted earlier , it says it has musket ignition , and was built to comply with Idaho and Oregon regulations ..

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...24in/p/1697016

You have a " new " gun . You can keep cleaning supplies simple. At least for a bit . All you need is 3 inch cotton shotgun patches , a 50 cal brush , hot water with some Dawn dish soap , a Q tip for the breech fire channel , and I would recommend a can of compressed air to blow out the excess water in the breech plug after you are done cleaning it.. Get some black powder solvent that gets the lead buildup out of the barrel . There are many of them that do a great job.

My advice is to clean it after every shot at the beginning until you are sighted in . After that every 3 shots just to see how it shoots as the barrel gets fouled.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
If you actually bought the model that you posted earlier , it says it has musket ignition , and was built to comply with Idaho and Oregon regulations ..

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...24in/p/1697016

You have a " new " gun . You can keep cleaning supplies simple. At least for a bit . All you need is 3 inch cotton shotgun patches , a 50 cal brush , hot water with some Dawn dish soap , a Q tip for the breech fire channel , and I would recommend a can of compressed air to blow out the excess water in the breech plug after you are done cleaning it.. Get some black powder solvent that gets the lead buildup out of the barrel . There are many of them that do a great job.

My advice is to clean it after every shot at the beginning until you are sighted in . After that every 3 shots just to see how it shoots as the barrel gets fouled.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure it was a musket ignition.

Thanks also for the cleaning advice. I appreciate it!

Jared

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.