Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Learning to use muzzleloaders. >

Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Hi everyone, Tomorrow, I’m going to be purchasing my first gun. It’s going to be a muzzleloader. I’ve always been interested in muzzleloaders, and I wanted to learn how to use one. Here in Idaho, muzzleloaders can be used in the general any weapon season, but they have to meet certain requirements to be used in a muzzleloader only season.

i’m gonna be up front, I have no idea how to use a muzzleloader, how to load it properly, how to measure the powder, that type of stuff. That’s why I’m posting today. I have two questions.

First, is there a muzzleloader user in the Twin Falls Idaho area that might be able to help teach me how to use one?

If not, does anybody here have any useful tips for a beginner muzzleloader?

I’ll appreciate whatever help I can get, Jared
Old 03-10-2022, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Youtube is your friend.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Youtube is your friend.
Yep, that’s what I was thinking. I’m actually already starting to look at some videos on muzzleloaders. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Hi everyone, Tomorrow, I’m going to be purchasing my first gun. It’s going to be a muzzleloader. I’ve always been interested in muzzleloaders, and I wanted to learn how to use one. Here in Idaho, muzzleloaders can be used in the general any weapon season, but they have to meet certain requirements to be used in a muzzleloader only season.

i’m gonna be up front, I have no idea how to use a muzzleloader, how to load it properly, how to measure the powder, that type of stuff. That’s why I’m posting today. I have two questions.

First, is there a muzzleloader user in the Twin Falls Idaho area that might be able to help teach me how to use one?

If not, does anybody here have any useful tips for a beginner muzzleloader?

I’ll appreciate whatever help I can get, Jared
I think we talked before about getting together to shoot. I was thinking at the time you were moving?
We can still make that happen.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
I think we talked before about getting together to shoot. I was thinking at the time you were moving?
We can still make that happen.

That’s right, we did. I finished moving in a while ago, so maybe we can make that happen when the gun arrives.

They were actually out of muzzleloaders at sportsman‘s warehouse in Twin Falls, so I had to order one on their website and have it shipped to the store. When it arrives, and as soon as I get all the powder, accessories, ammo, and other stuff, I will let you know so we can try shooting together.

I tried getting one sooner, but due to financial issues because of the move, and many other things, I had to delay getting the muzzleloader until today.

The gun I got is a traditions buckstalker XT Northwest 50 caliber in-line muzzleloader. It’s not the one you recommended me a while ago, but because of finances, this is the one I could afford.

Tell you what, I’ll send you a PM also.

Thanks for still being willing to help. I appreciate it.

Jared
Old 03-11-2022, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well its a good thing you have a mentor that knows a good deal about muzzleloading. Ron will be able to answer all your questions.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jnicholes
That’s right, we did. I finished moving in a while ago, so maybe we can make that happen when the gun arrives.

They were actually out of muzzleloaders at sportsman‘s warehouse in Twin Falls, so I had to order one on their website and have it shipped to the store. When it arrives, and as soon as I get all the powder, accessories, ammo, and other stuff, I will let you know so we can try shooting together.

I tried getting one sooner, but due to financial issues because of the move, and many other things, I had to delay getting the muzzleloader until today.

The gun I got is a traditions buckstalker XT Northwest 50 caliber in-line muzzleloader. It’s not the one you recommended me a while ago, but because of finances, this is the one I could afford.

Tell you what, I’ll send you a PM also.

Thanks for still being willing to help. I appreciate it.

Jared
No problem. Once you get your stuff to shoot contact me.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Hi everyone, I have an update for you all. The muzzleloader should get to sportsman‘s warehouse on Wednesday or Thursday. When it gets there, I will go into the store and have my background check. After passing it, (I’m pretty sure I’ll pass it, I’ve done absolutely nothing wrong in my life except for traffic violations,) I get the gun.

Anyway, I went to sportsman‘s warehouse yesterday, showed them on the Internet the gun I ordered, and asked them what’s required to start shooting it. I explained this is my first firearm purchase, and they helped me out. They said I needed the following: Black powder (loose, no pellets)
Bullets, (NO sabots, 100% lead)
Primer (I’m pretty sure the one I got takes a musket primer.)
Cleaning supplies
Ball starter
Powder measures

I think that’s everything. However, if I did miss something I need, please let me know. I plan on getting this stuff on the 25th if the store has it. If they don’t have it, I’ll order on their website.

Jared
Old 03-14-2022, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

You shouldn,t have to do a background check for a BP Firearm.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
You shouldn,t have to do a background check for a BP Firearm.
I don’t know if you’re right or not, because this is the first firearm I’ve ever purchased. If you are right, though, I don’t know why the store says we need to do one. I really don’t know. Regardless of reason, I’m going to roll with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.