Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Learning to use muzzleloaders. >

Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Learning to use muzzleloaders.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...al-r72110840wa
Old 03-16-2022, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Quick question.

I am browsing black powder for my muzzleloader. What would you guys recommend? FFg or FFFg black powder?
Old 03-17-2022, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Quick question. I am browsing black powder for my muzzleloader. What would you guys recommend? FFg or FFFg black powder?
Get the Pyrodex RS . Leave the real black powder to the experienced guys for now . There is nothing wrong with Pyrodex .
Old 03-17-2022, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Get the Pyrodex RS . Leave the real black powder to the experienced guys for now . There is nothing wrong with Pyrodex .
Perfect, thank you very much!
Old 03-17-2022, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

One thing you forgot to put on list that you need to get . Speed Loaders like these . Dont get the ones that look like a tube . Those are for pellets .

This is the one you will need for using powder . They hold the bullet , powder , and primer .
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002269720?pid=928145

Thats of course if you want to go out there with only one shot in the gun .
You see the critter ! You take the shot ! BOOM ! You MISSED ! Now walk back to the car to reload !

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 03-17-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
One thing you forgot to put on list that you need to get . Speed Loaders like these . Dont get the ones that look like a tube . Those are for pellets .

This is the one you will need for using powder . They hold the bullet , powder , and primer .
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002269720?pid=928145

Thats of course if you want to go out there with only one shot in the gun .
You see the critter ! You take the shot ! BOOM ! You MISSED ! Now walk back to the car to reload !
Thank you. I’ll add that to my list.

I actually went to Sportsman’s Warehouse today and got the right powder you guys recommended. While I was there, I was looking at projectiles. While looking at projectiles, a big debate arose between my guns manual, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Traditions firearms customer service. I’m not sure who to believe, so I figured I’d ask you guys.

My gun manual said to not use conical or ball projectiles. This is a problem, because Idaho regulations requires you use those in muzzleloader only hunts. I contacted traditions firearms, and asked them about this. They said to use ball projectiles. However, Sportsmans warehouse said to not use ball projectiles, and use conical projectiles, because the balls tend the curve when shot.

The regulations for Idaho muzzleloader only hunts say that the projectile needs to be within 0.010 of an inch of the bore diameter, and must be made of lead with no sabots. Conical or ball.

Traditions firearms referred me to a website that sells many sizes of muzzleloader projectiles, all spherical, to meet the size requirement for the projectile. Sportsman‘s warehouse showed me one in the store that was conical. Traditions firearms said the ones in the store were too small to meet my requirement for 0.010 of an inch of the bore diameter.

In a nutshell, I am very confused. Could someone PLEASE help me out? What would be a good ammunition/projectile that meets my State requirements?
Old 03-17-2022, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Thank you. I’ll add that to my list.

I actually went to Sportsman’s Warehouse today and got the right powder you guys recommended. While I was there, I was looking at projectiles. While looking at projectiles, a big debate arose between my guns manual, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Traditions firearms customer service. I’m not sure who to believe, so I figured I’d ask you guys.

My gun manual said to not use conical or ball projectiles. This is a problem, because Idaho regulations requires you use those in muzzleloader only hunts. I contacted traditions firearms, and asked them about this. They said to use ball projectiles. However, Sportsmans warehouse said to not use ball projectiles, and use conical projectiles, because the balls tend the curve when shot.

The regulations for Idaho muzzleloader only hunts say that the projectile needs to be within 0.010 of an inch of the bore diameter, and must be made of lead with no sabots. Conical or ball.

Traditions firearms referred me to a website that sells many sizes of muzzleloader projectiles, all spherical, to meet the size requirement for the projectile. Sportsman‘s warehouse showed me one in the store that was conical. Traditions firearms said the ones in the store were too small to meet my requirement for 0.010 of an inch of the bore diameter.

In a nutshell, I am very confused. Could someone PLEASE help me out? What would be a good ammunition/projectile that meets my State requirements?
All of this is better answered by IdahoRon . He is right there in the thick of it and has been hunting Idaho forever . I dont think its as complicated as its being portrayed. I would tend to take the advice of Traditions before I put any salt into the advice coming from a guy at Sportsmans Warehouse . But I would listen and trust anything that IdahoRon has for advice before either Traditions or Sportsmans Warehouse.

So just doing a quick search on conicals and checking your regulations , this pure lead hollow point powerbelt fits the description . Its even shown on whats legal on their regulation examples. I have used this same bullet in copper in both my TC Encore inlines using 100 grains of powder ( 2 50gr pellets ) with superb accuracy . Since you have to use loose powder , I would start with this one trying 100 grains of powder first . Then lowering it to 90 grains to see if that load is more accurate. I can take 3 shots at 100 yards and keep them all inside a 2 inch bulls eye . But thats with a scope which you cant use . So sight in at 25 yards 1st and work your way up to 75 yards .
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924370494

Here is another one that fits your regulations and gun . Its a heavier bullet . I have never used this one but it has terrific reviews.
Anything made by Hornady is usually quality

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-..._reviews_title

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 03-18-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you so much for for taking some time to do some research. I really appreciate it. I also did some research myself, and I discovered that my barrels twist rate is 1:28, which is apparently good for conicals according to another source. Thank you so much for helping me out. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Here are a couple more things . 1st on the Red speed loaders I suggested . They are limited to 100 grains powder capacity . It might be beneficial to you to get the Black Magnum speed loaders instead . Probably dont need them , but they have a capacity of 150 grains on powder . That might be beneficial if you decide to shoot the heavier Hornady Great Plains conical . If you do decide to get the Hornady from that site , make sure you click on the 50 cal and not the 54 cal since they are both shown on the same page. This is a link to the Black Magnum speed loader .
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002269720?pid=703837

4 in 1 Speed Loader with the built in bullet starter
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...2386#questions

Now watch this short video lesson on using the speed loader . The 1st half is loading with pellets with a tube. The 2nd half shows loading with the black speed loader . Notice how you dont need a bullet starter . I have never used one with any of my muzzle loaders . I just use the ramrod. But if you think you really need one and not planning to shoot over 100 grains , check out the 4 in 1 version of the Red one. Myself , I have never used one . Just some info of what this guy is doing wrong on this video. He is using the wrong side of the ramrod to push the bullet down the barrel . You are supposed to use the cupped side for the bullets I suggested to you . He is pushing the bullet down the barrel with the side that you screw in the cleaning brushes ! Dont push the bullets I suggested down with that side of the rod ! To use that side for his pointed bullets they make an adaptor to screw in to that side thats shaped for those bullets. And he doesn't have one on .

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 03-18-2022 at 02:56 PM.