Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Omega50 or Encore? >

TC Omega50 or Encore?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega50 or Encore?

Old 12-17-2003, 06:07 AM
Spike

Default RE: TC Omega50 or Encore?

i have an encore and i know it was expensive but man does it shoot. at 50 yards a dime will cover 3 shots and 100 yards a quarter will cover 3 shots. i didn't get the gun for the versitility, thats nice but i got it because of the way it shoots. i am very pleased with this gun.

kevin
Old 12-21-2003, 04:22 PM

vc1111:
Jimbo, if I were you, I'd make a phone call to Thompson Center Arms about the loose hinge. I'd be willing to bet that they would repair or replace that rifle free. Their service is nothing less than outstanding.
I did call them a couple of months ago. The guy I spoke with said that I could send it back and pay shipping one-way, but I didn't want to send my Encore away when our "late" muzzleloader season lasts until January 3. As a possible quick fix, he agreed to send me a couple of over-sized hinge pins to see if they would be an improvement... they weren't, unfortunately.

After this season ends, I'll be giving them a call so that they can straighten this out. I certainly don't doubt their customer service capabilities. Almost everyone has good things to say about them and I'm sure they'll treat me right.

Happy hunting,
Jim
Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you mean Jimbo. Nothing worse than equipment problems when the season is right ahead of you.

For what its worth:

I bought the TC Encore when it was first marketed. I bought it for one reason: At the time it was the only game in town that used the 209 primer ignition. Now of course, pretty much everyone offers the 209 ignition system.

If I could do it over today, I would buy the Omega.

...The TC Encore has a large, almost too thick grip on the butt. I always wished they would come out with a slimmer grip area.

As for the extra barrels available on the Encore...I've been tempted several times, but never bought one because of the need for a scope for every barrel. I may buy the 12 gauge muzzleloader barrel for turkey though....love that stink and smoke!
Old 12-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Omega
Old 12-29-2003, 04:49 PM

i was faced with the same decision a couple months ago. i ended up getting the encore just because it the best feeling gun i have ever raised up to my shoulder ...you can't beat the fit. and the barrel is shorter and easier to handle.

shooting wise i don't think there is any difference between the omega and encore.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:27 AM

I have a question for you Encore guys. What cal. are avalible for the Encore. might look into getting one if they offer a varmit size cal.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I own the Encore and love it! And yes they make varmit barrels. 22-250, 220 Swift, and more.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: nyflyer

I have a question for you Encore guys. What cal. are avalible for the Encore. might look into getting one if they offer a varmit size cal.
Fox Ridge (T/C's Custom Shop) chambers 70+ calibers and the custom guys out there make almost any other caliber available.
I have a .17 Remington barrel from Fox Ridge and it shoots nicely--I also have a 209x50 barrel but haven't shot it yet. My next barrel will be a 257 Weatherby Mag from Virgin Valley.
This Encore stuff is dangerous-You keep wanting more barrels!!!!!!!!!!
Encore28
Old 01-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Encore and that preference has nothing to do with swapping barrels in my case. I've owned two Omega rifles and sold both in fairly short order. The one I fired did not handle recoil well at all and the narrow spacing in the trigger guard brutalized my firing fingers and hand. The Encore fits me MUCH better. If you take a hard look at the internals of an Omega action, you might wonder if those springs are from mouse-traps. Really, they do look flimsy. But I suppose they compliment the plastic (or plastic-like) bushings that hold the hammer (THAT's a hammer??) and trigger assemblies in position - well, sorta.

If you are a person of medium build, the Omega will likely fit you much better than it did me. Make SURE you get a specimen that has a good trigger as any adjustments put at risk an assembly that cost $140 last I knew.

Most folks seem to really like whichever they own. My preference is based upon owning or having owned more than one of each model and pain.