Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea >

Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

Old 11-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

cayugad, I can' t rate it compared to Rem Oil, because I have never used Rem Oil! I have used Break-Free, LSA (a G.I. mixture), and even Hoppe' s No. 9 for rust prevention. I would say that Sheath does as good a job of short-term RUST PREVENTION (no longer than 6 mos) as anything else I' ve used, BUT it is NOT a solvent, won' t really clean anything, nor is it a friction-fighter. So, you need to use something else as a lubricant for moving parts. But it is easy to use, (I spray it on a patch, and use the patch to wipe out the previously-cleaned bore, then wipe down all exterior metal with it before throwing the patch away.

Sheath is not really new. I bought my first can of it (it wasn' t in spray cans then) in 1963 when I was on my way to Alaska for a three-year tour with the Yukon Command and the 171st Infantry Brigade in Fairbanks. It kept my guns rust-free up there for three years, which included several hunting trips to the coastal islands where EVERYTHING rusts!!

I always swab out all my barrels with Sheath about every three months unless I' m putting a gun into long-term storage, in which case I goop up the bore and all metal parts with R.I.G. R.I.G. has been around since " before the good Lord was a road guard" , but it is still the best stuff I' ve ever used for long-term rust prevention. It works as good as Cosmoline, but remains soft, so it can be wiped off with just a patch or a rag.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I' m putting a gun into long-term storage, in which case I goop up the bore and all metal parts with R.I.G. R.I.G. has been around since " before the good Lord was a road guard" , but it is still the best stuff I' ve ever used for long-term rust prevention. It works as good as Cosmoline, but remains soft, so it can be wiped off with just a patch or a rag.
I second that..... RIG.......The best long term storage protection I' ve ever used.Been using it for a couple decades and never a rusty toy.Knock on wood.
Ruger Redhawk