Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pop can at 500 yards with a slingshot >

Pop can at 500 yards with a slingshot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pop can at 500 yards with a slingshot

Old 04-27-2021, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Olde NE Hunter
You asked for a picture
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Is this where I should now post about how anybody shooting pop cans differently than me is unethical and not a real pop can shooter??

-Jake
Bhahahaha I'm glad I could cheer a lot of you up. With all the crap going on all around us it's good we still have a sense of humor.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Olde NE Hunter
You asked for a picture
Thats an Assault Weapon ! It needs to be " banned " !

Oh wait ! It already has rubber bands . You are good to go !
Old 04-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Bow down to IdahoLewis! LOL He sure does know how to shoot a sidelock and get the most out of them.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Just joking of course but I'd probably have just as much luck doing this as I would duplicating IdahoLewis' 1200 yard muzzy shot. I just want to see how many of you will look at this thread and keep the forum alive!
You made me look Bronko! As shooters we usually get a chance at seeing a few spectacular shots in our lifetimes, wether we made them, or someone else.

Here are a couple of short stories of My grandfather. It would be his Birthday today if he were stil alive (He was born April 27, 1912 in Sylva, North Carolina) Grandpa told me about a shot he made on a Rabbit MANY years ago, He had a little Beagle that was running the Rabbit in a Brushy Ditch line, Grandpa seen the Rabbit cross the Old rd WAY up ahead, 100 yards or a little more on a Steep Dirt Bank, Grandpa knew the little Dog was gonna stay on the Rabbit Track all the way and get WAY behind, So Grandpa decided to try and get the Dog to come out so he could get it Closer to the Rabbit, He pulled his little .22 Rifle up to his Hip, pointed toward the Steep Dirt Bank where the Rabbit was going up and Fired, He killed the Rabbit! TOTAL FLUKE deal

Grandpa was fishing the Big Skagit River for Steelhead MANY years ago, Nobody was catching anything, Pretty soon my Grandpa Hooked in to one, When he got it landed he realized that His Hook was in the Eye of another Hook that had been Broke off in the Fish’s Mouth, What is the Chances of that happening?
Old 04-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Cool stories!! And the thread is still alive.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lewis with that rabbit story you made me think of something funny that happened to me many years ago. I was 12 and I would hunt small game withmy grandfather and uncles. My dad wasn't into hunting. I used a hand me down H&R 12 ga single shot. A bout midway thru the season my one uncle decided I was responsible enough to use his old 12,ga SxS with double triggers. The basset hounds were in a rabbit on a fence row and it came busting out of there quite a bit in front of me but coming right toward me. Now mind you I was about 70 lbs soaking wet and I'm lefty. I leveled that SxS on the rabbit and at the recoil my finger slipped off the front trigger and hit the rear on. I hit the poor bunny with both barrel. He went backwards and so did I. The recoil from both barrels knocked me flat on my butt.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Lewis with that rabbit story you made me think of something funny that happened to me many years ago. I was 12 and I would hunt small game withmy grandfather and uncles. My dad wasn't into hunting. I used a hand me down H&R 12 ga single shot. A bout midway thru the season my one uncle decided I was responsible enough to use his old 12,ga SxS with double triggers. The basset hounds were in a rabbit on a fence row and it came busting out of there quite a bit in front of me but coming right toward me. Now mind you I was about 70 lbs soaking wet and I'm lefty. I leveled that SxS on the rabbit and at the recoil my finger slipped off the front trigger and hit the rear on. I hit the poor bunny with both barrel. He went backwards and so did I. The recoil from both barrels knocked me flat on my butt.
LOL!! I hear ya Bronko, I remember an Old Single Shot Iver Johnson 12 Gauge Shotgun that my Dad had when i was a Kid, that darn thing Kicked like a MULE!! I can only imagine a Double barrel & Both going off

I was talking to Dave Anderson (Cayugad) on the Phone a few years back (RIP Ole Buddy) He told me a Similiar story to yours, He was setup for Turkey, When one finally came in He accidentally pulled Both triggers on a Double Barrel Shotgun, He said it Knocked the Stuffing out of him Dave Got to Laughing telling me the Story, he was Genuinely having a hard time telling me the end of the story due to laughing, Which got me going, We were both Rolling laughing over it

I sure miss Dave’s Posts, It’s neat when an Older topic gets brought up and Dave is in it. He was a darn good guy. I didn’t know Dave real well, But what i did, I thought the World of him
Old 04-27-2021, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now you just gotta post a picture with a slingshot. Preferably with a scope.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:59 AM
Spike

Since we are telling hunting stories I offer from another, more local, forum that I'm on a guy, screen name Catfish Steve, posted his experience in a duck bling. It's not me but I found it funny.

I was in a blind once at daybreak sitting next to a guy that had a Spanish double 10 ga. I'm not a duck hunter so I never saw the first flight of teal come screaming in, but he did. He stood up in the half-dark and double tapped that thing. I imagine that being in the USS Iowa during live fire could not have been a whole lot different than being in that blind at that moment. I actually felt the concussion blasts hit my chest. I swear the fire jumped out of the barrels at least 20 feet, headed right at the whistling flock. I fully expected a couple of those ducks to just burst into flames in mid-air. The birds were very low and his patterns hit the water about 40 yards out. It was very impressive. I think he could have easily sunk a bass boat at that distance with one barrel. I never asked to fire it.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Many moons ago I used an Ithaca Mag10 for waterfowl and loaded my own shells. I had the idea of practicing with it on doves before duck season so I loaded up a couple boxes of #8 shot. This shotgun had a fixed full choke. When the first dove/victim that came by about 40 yards i swung on ot and fired. You could see the ball of shot heading on an intercept course with the dove and the next thing you saw upon impast was the shot turning into a ball of feathers! I scratched that idea.