Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I bought a T/C 50 cal. Omega.  Now what? >

I bought a T/C 50 cal. Omega. Now what?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I bought a T/C 50 cal. Omega. Now what?

Old 11-08-2003, 12:04 PM

Default I bought a T/C 50 cal. Omega. Now what?

Ok I need help from the experts here. I purchased a T/C 50 cal. Omega. I have no idea where to begin shooting this gun. It doesn' t use the percussion caps that I' m use to it uses primers. I have no idea which type I should purchase. I plan to use the Pyrodex pellets (50 grn.) but have no idea which sabots I should purchase for the best results. Can anyone give me a clue where to start? As always folks, I appreciate your input.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I bought a T/C 50 cal. Omega. Now what?

Your gun uses shotgun 209 primers.I would go with 2 pyro pellets and try either hornady sabots of say 200 to 300 gr range,or powerbelts.That should give you a good start.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:38 PM

I would think the best way to go is with loose powder pyrodex select 90 grains would be a good start and around 120 loose would be max.Triple 777 also a good choice
As far as sabot I would recommend percision sabot QT40' s in 235 grain flat shooting bullet and a high BC.Another good choice is the hornady sst 300 grain sabot but for some reason they are dhard to load in some barrels this is some reviews on that sabot.
The first step is to clean the m/l real well ,leave no oils in the barrel don' t waste your money on borebutter,next you will need a measure tube for loose powder,209 primers of your choice,clean patches bullet starter,cleaning jag,patch jag, and water in a bottle to spit patch between shot or spit on the patch
Next snap off a couple of 209 primer to remove any oil left in the barrel measure your charge dump the charge next the sabot bullet started with the ball starter then pushed all the way down with the ramrod A little pressure applyied to seat the bullet over the powder ,prime it you are ready to go. after the shot spit patch the barrel flip the patch you are ready to go again clean betwwen shots you should never have ant problem no solvents in betwwen shot
Old 11-08-2003, 01:24 PM

First, you should sit down and read the owner' s manual a couple of times. After you' ve done that you' ll be ready to figure out what type of load you want to begin with.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:01 AM

Lonewolf suggests not wasting time on Bore Butter...okay. Why? I' m curious. Secondly, what lub do you suggest? I' m always interested in new things but I' ve been using Bore Butter for years and would like to know if I' ve been wasting time and money.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 AM

I use three 50gr 777 pellets and power belt bullets and they did the job for me . And as for bore butter T/C says no lube should be any bullets with sabots . And power belt say no lube any a very dry barrel
Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 AM

Thanks Wolf. I' m a very recent convert to inline shooting so I' ve a lot of new stuff to learn. Much of my acquired knowledge of BP patched-ball shooting is obsolete now.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

209 primers I would suggest either winchester or federal.
Powder I would personally suggest to try the pellet form first in either pyrodex or 777 (100 gr of powder to start with)
I would also suggest for starter trying a hornady XTP 245 or 300 Gr sabot. I have found them to be both accurate and reliable on game performance.

Read the manual, clean the gun throughly and get familar with it before heading to the range. I don' t use wonder or bore butter lube. I simply clean with hot water(add soap for Pyrodex), run some dry patches till clean, then a patch saturated with breakfree followed by 2 dry patches and gtg. I always wipe down the exterior with a light coat of oil. At the end of the season I use the same ritual & due a total breakdown with cleaning/oil, add a run of CR10 to the barrel and a good coat of oil to protect it in storage.