Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clearshot or Cleanshot in side locks >

Clearshot or Cleanshot in side locks

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clearshot or Cleanshot in side locks

Old 02-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Clearshot or Cleanshot in side locks

Anybody try these powders in a percussion or flintlock? What's your experience?
Old 02-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2002, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Clearshot or Cleanshot in side locks

I have used both Clearshot and Cleanshot rather extensively in both percussion sidelocks and flintlocks for about the past 18 months. Both worked well. Will never use any Pyrodex or straight black again!! Even used Clearshot for both musket and revolver blank loads in a Civil war reenactment at Gettysburg last July!! Both these powders perform about as advertised, but: Clearshot FFG does not give me as high a velocity as black, gain-for-grain, (volume measure) and Cleanshot is very hygroscopic!! Cleanshot has to be kept ABSOLUTELY DRY, making it problematic as a hunting propellant in wet areas (like the Adirondacks!!)

Larry
Old 02-04-2002, 08:04 AM

eldeguello, interesting to hear that about the Cleanshot. I fell in love with the stuff for range shooting this year, but had ignition problems several times when it was loaded in the gun for a few hours while hunting. Weather wasn't particularly wet, but it took several caps to get it to go off-needless to say AFTER the deer had left the imediate vicinity! I'm thinking I will use it for target/range etc. shooting because there is SO much less fouling, but I may go back to P for hunting.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I've found that the Clearshot is much dirtier than Cleanshot (as bad or worse as Pryodex RS) and also under-powdered. At 50yds, my gun requires 10gr more Clearshot to keep it zeroed to my identical Cleanshot load. After firing over 100 rounds with Cleanshot, I've never had an ignition failure - and 95% of those were in hot, wet, humid Florida conditions.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:12 PM
Spike

I use cleanshot in my lyman great plains. I have never had a miss fire. I fire a cap through the gun before loading.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:45 AM

I've shot both the Clean Shot and Clear Shot Powders. I wasn't very happy with the Clean Shot Powder because it's so pressure sensitive. I feel the accuracy suffered because of this! You had to really apply alot of seating pressure and keep the seating pressure consistant. Clean Shot also did not load easily in my powder measure. Maybe some of this has changed recently. I haven't shot any of this stuff the last couple of years.
I did like Clean Shot because of minimal fouling and being non-corrosive.
Goex Clear Shot on the other hand, may produce slightly less velocity than Black Powder, Clean Shot and Pyrodex, but it was not pressure sensitive and loaded easily in my powder measure. I've shot Clear Shot in my flintlock and sidelocks with great results. I never have to clean between shots, and I've had no problems with barrel fouling and the accuracy has been great!
I do not understand how one person commented that he had increased fouling using Clear Shot over Pyrodex? The fouling I get while using Pyrodex RS and Select, I've always had to clean between shots when shooting Pistol Bullets/Sabots comb. to keep loading easy and to get the accuracy between shots. On the other hand I did not notice this at all while using Goex Clear Shot. I was able to load and shoot with minimal fouling and the fouling that was present did not seem to build up between shots. Loading was a breeze and the accuracy was great.
I will gladly load a little more Clear Shot powder to keep the velocity up W/Blk and Pyrodex. The way I feel now, I will be using Goex Clear Shot this fall. I still have some reservations about the stuff (shelf life,cost, and availability), but time will tell.
I'm looking forward to shooting the Triple 7 Powder coming soon and see how this stacks up against the rest.
We are blessed with so many options. It helps keep the sport alive and gives us/me something to tinker with at the range.
I'm looking forward to hearing from others who are using Goex Clear Shot. The judge is still out on this!
Old 02-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the boards Mac, and thanks for the report.
Since I started this thread I've been doing alot of research and the experts (Sam Fadala,Larry Weishun,& a couple others) seem to agree with you.
The bad news concerning Clear-Shot is that since the portion of the plant that was used to produce it burned down, Goex doesn't have any plans to produce it again.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:56 PM

Weasel you just busted my bubble. I heard about the fire at Goex, but I didn't know that they were not going to be making Clear Shot anymore. I'm not to happy about this!
"Thanks" for the welcome!....A friend at work (weatherby460)told me about the site. I love it! It's the next best thing to shooting at the local range.