Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cleanshot pellets? >

cleanshot pellets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleanshot pellets?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default cleanshot pellets?

A friend of mine recently gave me some cleanshot pellets 50grn pellets. Is anyone familar with these and are they and older blackpowder substitute or are they somewhat comparible to pyro or 777. Do they burn clean, I am almost a little reluctant to shoot them after haveing such good luck with pyro and 777.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cleanshot pellets?

They would be very old pellets and might not give you too good of results on the range but you never know until you try. I would not depend on them for hunting. They should be about equal to Pyrodex but again, with their age (since these have not been made to my knowledge for many years) they might be a real disappointment.

I'd take them out for a fun day on the range. You will find little to no fowling when you shoot them with little need for swabbing actually...

Good luck, and let us know how they shoot...
Old 10-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Returnthem to the person who gave them to you.
Personally speaking, I would not waste my time toying with them at the range. Odds are,they'llfrustrate you.

Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some old ones left over from trying them out years ago. I did not get very good results when I tried them. I did find one good use for them though, I fire off 1 pellet with a bit of wadding over it as a fouling shot before loading for a hunt when using a load that shoots better on a fouled barrel. I swab like I do at the range and then load my hunting load. I've hunted for several days without unloading, even with it snowing, and not had any problems using this setup. They also make pretty good flares if you don't put anything over it before shooting.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:55 AM

Cleanshot was sued for pat. infringment by hogden. This company is now called american pioneer powder... they now sell their product in stick (50 grn)and loose powder. I use the stick with great success.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Like others expressed, while you might not get any kind of accuracy, then again you might. While they might go off, then again they might not. But one thing they will do if they fire,is make a loud bang and a lot of smoke. What more could you ask for..
Old 10-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Should the prior owner not want them back, your best use for those Cleanshot pellets would be to use one at a time at the range or hunting woods as fouling shots with an empty plastic sabot in front of the pellet.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

That is a good idea guys!, I think I will use them as a fouling shot before I go huntin. I still wonder If i need to foul the barrell though because every time I shoot it the first shot unfouled, shoots in the same place as the rest and that is with pyrodex and sabots slideing downa clean swabbed barrelto get oil outand then shootin it.