Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting with the New Lehigh #11 Nipple >

Shooting with the New Lehigh #11 Nipple

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting with the New Lehigh #11 Nipple

Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting with the New Lehigh #11 Nipple

I was able to get out to the farm this morning and get some shooting in before the heat began to rise.
This new is made from s7 tool steel and is a very tough metal. In the previous post I mistakenly labeled it as 17-4 Stainless
S-7 is an air or oil hardening tool steel that is characterized by very high impact toughness. The combination of strength and high toughness makes S-7 tool steel a candidate for a wide variety of tooling applications.
Today project was to test fire the new Nipple with a BP sub powder.
The nipple performed really well and it was fun to shoot with it. But... If you have seen the previous post:
Just So You Know - Testing a New #11 Nipple
In that post I showed how tight the CCI #11 and RWS 1078+ caps fit the nipple post - providing a water tight seal between the post and cap. There can be a negative side to this tight fit also. Anybody that shoots caps understands how dirty the Nipple and the Breech becomes. I found that after 5/8 shots with a Magnum caps the nipple post became so dirty the cap may not seat on the post correctly. Wiping the post with a damp patch cleared the problem very easily.
Here are a couple of composites of the shoot this morning....

Old 06-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its fun before the high Sun,then its all sweat. Keep on shooting, i may get out after all of these rain days n thunder storms pass
Old 06-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Suppose to possibly rain here tomorrow - but if can I really do want to get out and shoot again!